Betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladeia3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two betta fish. One is in a 3 gallon Back to the Roots garden tank and the other is in a 1.5 tetra aquarium kit. From what I'm reading it looks like the one in the 3 gallon should be ok to stay but I should rehome the one in the 1.5. I have a 10 gallon glofish tank that currently has 6 neon tetras in it. Can I move the betta into that tank with them? If not, should I rehome the tetras into my 55 gallon aquarium and put the betta in the 10 gal by himself? If I move the tetras into my 55 gal it will be overstocked so I don't want to do that but I also don't want the poor betta to be stuck in a too small home. I don't currently have the funds to buy another tank and setup.

Unless your 55 is grossly overstocked moving the tetras into it shouldn't be too big an issue. What's in it by chance?

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Unless your 55 is grossly overstocked moving the tetras into it shouldn't be too big an issue. What's in it by chance?

8 Zebra Danios
6 Tiger Barbs
6 Assorted Platies
2 Horned Nerite Snails
1 Pictus (sp?) catfish
1 common pleco (since I got him from Walmart I am trying to rehome by using craigslist so he will hopefully be going to a bigger home soon)

You should be alright especially if the pleco will be out of the picture soon

How are your fish?
I wanted to let you know that pictus catfish are shoaling fish and should be in groups of at least 5..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just out of curiosity why do you want to rehome the betta? Larger is better of course but interestingly I was recently reading an article written by the president of the International Betta Congress who uses containers 1/5 gallon and under. Not something I'd personally do but really your 1.5g should be fine.

All the IBC breeders keep their bettas in small containers. I used to be a member and interacted with others in the Facebook forum. Sometimes the Thai breeders use whiskey bottles. I think the 55g shift would be fine also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 55g is too tall.. it takes too much to come up and get air

Lakes are deep.... Not all fish hang at the bottom 100ft down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The appropriate size tank for a betta could be debated to the end of time. Some people believe they are fine without a heater or filter, or in a half gallon bowl.
Bettas need somewhere to rest, whether its the substrate, a leaf, or suctioned plants they make specifically for bettas

I know.... My son has kept his for 3yrs now in a 55gl highly planted peaceful community tank in his room. Does wonderfully. No one said a 55gl means it had no where for a betta to go. Im not arguing a proper size my friend. Im just saying a 55gl is OK. when i bred them it was in 2.5gls.... But that was many, many moons ago, lol.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom