Betta Fries in my Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys!

So I have a 2.5 g shrimp-only tank housing 7 red cherries and maybe 10 newly hatched red cherries.

Anyways, in a 1.5g tank, i was able to miraculously breed betas. I was just testing the couple out then they bred. I was like "meh i dont have any other tanks for them anyway." So they had hundreds of eggs..... Then the male decided to eat most of them and i was so mad but realized its probly cz of the tiny tank. Anyway I removed him and i let the 1.5 g tank sit for a few days.

Then 8 baby betas appeared (probly ones daddy beta didnt eat). I Iet them there but since i have no infusoria or any other baby beta food. I decided to put them in my shrimp tank which is teeming with tiny crawlies, worms, transparent crazy moving things, etc.

So, after a day all of the baby beta looked full and happy and im seeing theyre starting to have color.

In the meantime my baby cheries are a bit larger than the betas.

My question is.... Can i keep the baby betas here until they reach an age where a baby cherry can fit in their mouths?

Id move them eventually to individual plastic cups maybe (yes im that poor).

Another reason why i want the baby betas here is so they could eat the baby mosquitos before they reach an annoying size.

-Im poor i cant buy new tanks.
-i only have 1 filter and air pump and aqua light.
-got tons of java or christmas moss in all my tanks.
-2 female cherries are berried.
-apologies for crappy pix
-sponge filter for shrimp tank
-leaf mold topped with sand substrate (I don't know why i did this)
-10 watt desk lamp light.

3 tanks: 1.5 g, 2.5 g and 20 g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445883505.019589.jpg

2.5 g from the side
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445883681.225961.jpg

2.5 g from the front
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445883783.773815.jpg

Baby beta
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445883957.892262.jpg

Baby cherry and baby beta
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445884337.049102.jpg

Please advise! On whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the cups are just going to stunt the babies depending on the size.

I'd try to find bigger containers, or sell them to someone. Besides, unless your room temp is close to 80 they are going to be cold. No filters and cups means water deterioration very fast. I'd find them a home since you have no place for them.

Caleb

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the cups are just going to stunt the babies depending on the size.

I'd try to find bigger containers, or sell them to someone. Besides, unless your room temp is close to 80 they are going to be cold. No filters and cups means water deterioration very fast. I'd find them a home since you have no place for them.

Caleb

Thats how siamese people do it... And they were able to breed betas enuf to make a sport out of it (beta fighting). They keep them in small bottles though.

Id like to keep them. Besides there are only 8 of them.

Btw im in the philippines so weathers hottt.

Im more concerned about the shrimp though. Will they be okay?

Keeping the fry together too long is what stunts them. The larger fry give off chemicals that stunt the others. Betta breeders routinely use jars for bettas so if it's warm there and you can keep up on daily water changes then go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As for the shrimp you are asking of they will be safe with betta fry? That's a toss up as a lot of bettas will eat shrimp.

As for the shrimp you are asking of they will be safe with betta fry? That's a toss up as a lot of bettas will eat shrimp.

Im concerned about my shrimplets but as of now i thnk theyre safe since theyre as big as beta fries and tons of water creatures swimming in my shrimp tank.

I just want my 8 beta fries to survive until they reach a size where they could be harmful to the shrimplets...

Dyu think thats okay? Or would they be harmfu to the shrimplets in their current stage.

They may chase or harass the shrimp, the adults do.

Shrimp are a food for the fish. They don't know they should only eat the ones that are the creepy crawlies...

Rule is, if it can fit IN the mouth, it will be food. Sometimes they will bite things to pieces so they get to fit in the mouth.

Try collecting some liter size or larger glass jars from food products and just change all the water 100% every other day. Depends on how much you feed, could need to be every day. Also sometimes people give away tanks they don't need any more. Plastic tote containers used for storage can get you an extra place to keep fish too. Water trough for animals could work. You can add the plants and they don't NEED water movement or air, and where you live probably won't need a heater, lol!

Possibly some screen or acrylic, or glass from a discarded window maybe? to divide the tank would work after they get a bit larger.

Time to get creative.

Back
Top Bottom