Betta Getting Stuck To Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought the Petco Hex Aquarium for my betta and he keeps getting stuck to the filter intake. He can easily swim away and doesn't seem to be injured by it, I'm just wondering if this is normal. It almost seems like he attaches himself to it because he's lazy and doesn't want to swim.

Anybody else have this problem?

I know bettas technically don't like filtered tanks, but it's hard to pass up a 2 gallon hex aquarium with a filter for $30. Unfiltered tanks start to get dirty and require a lot of cleaning, as they start to smell only with one fish. I clean this filtered tank every other week and the water stays crystal clear.

Attachments

• betta_on_filter-1024x962.jpg
    betta_on_filter-1024x962.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 3,190
I've had this happen with all of my Bettas in the past. I never had any of them get hurt...they just seem lazy to me.

Well if your parameters are fine then I'd say your filter is too strong. I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a 1 gallon filter so in case I buy a Betta for it, strong filtration wouldn't be an issue

I'd advise under gravels in this situation, or at least that's what I'd do. It's impossible to get sucked into an under gravel filter lol

The only thing with under gravel filters it just gets so dirty! I would do all what library girl said! Great advice given there.

My Betta is the opposite, I have a tetra whisper10i filter with a similar looking intake as yours. My fish gets stripes when I run it and swims in the "falls" and won't stop "investigating" the current for hours! I have to wrap a cloth headband around the intake to slow it down and I put a solo cup around the water output with a slit in it to prevent the high flow from being as disruptive.

He gets stressed anyway so I give him 50/50 time with the filter and air stone completely off. He lives in a 29 gallon and is Literally that sensitive to the tiny filter meant for 10 gallons!

Back
Top Bottom