betta glass surfing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright I've had my betta for 2 weeks and I've noticed that he is still glass surfing a lot. I have no idea how he acts when I'm not there but when I watch him, he is constantly zipping really fast along the front and sides of the tank. He's by himself in a 15 gallon. I don't know if this also happens with you guys and its just recognizing me, or maybe if somethings up and the current us too strong so he doesn't swim in the open. I noticed he does avoid the middle of the tank. I have my filter out put facing the back wall to try to reduce the current from flowing free across the tank.

I don't know. Maybe go on the chat. They will probably answer.

Is the tank cycled? Water parameters? I'd start there....if there's ammonia or nitrite in the tank that could be the issue.

Is he flaring at himself or just zipping along the sides? I have a male in a 10 gal by himself and when the lights are on he's constantly staring at his reflection and flaring and he'll swim along the side of the tank (usually the back) and wiggle at himself. If water parameters are normal he might just be seeing his reflection and getting excited.

What kind of filter do you have? Any way to reduce the flow more?

librarygirl said:
Is the tank cycled? Water parameters? I'd start there....if there's ammonia or nitrite in the tank that could be the issue.

Is he flaring at himself or just zipping along the sides? I have a male in a 10 gal by himself and when the lights are on he's constantly staring at his reflection and flaring and he'll swim along the side of the tank (usually the back) and wiggle at himself. If water parameters are normal he might just be seeing his reflection and getting excited.

What kind of filter do you have? Any way to reduce the flow more?

Thank you for replying! The tank is 9 months established and parameters are good, that's why I'm a little worried lol he does just zip back and forth and sometimes flares. I sat and watched him today for a while, he doesn't nearly do it as much when I'm out of sight or sitting extremely still for atleast 10 min. Yesterday I bought a fluval sponge filter and placed that over the intake valve which had reduced the current quite a bit, so now he is beginning to venture into the center of the tank more. I had a betta 3 years ago and he was much calmer than this lol so I was wanting to see if others have had this experience before. Thank you for giving some input, it makes me feel better that it could just be his personality, and the calmer water is helping too :)

Yeah I saw a difference in my bettas behavior when I reduced the current. He could be being aggressive toward you or he could just be bored. You could try adding some tank mates that will give him some mental stimulation.

tarpon said:
Yeah I saw a difference in my bettas behavior when I reduced the current. He could be being aggressive toward you or he could just be bored. You could try adding some tank mates that will give him some mental stimulation.

I've thought about tank mates for him, what would you suggest the safest way to test it out. On a previous thread I had, I had to float him in a clear bowl in my community tank for a short time so that I could use his tank as an isolation for a bad gourami situation. While he was there my platy was checking him out and he was flaring like crazy. I don't know if he was just stressed.due to being set in a new environment or what. The bowl tipped at one point and he hid from the other fish until I got him out (then silly me realized, duh, put him in a vase). But that's the only experience he's had with other fish so I'm not sure how he would act

Hmmm I don't know. I just went with corys since they're bottom feeders and I figured wouldn't get up in his space. But my betta uses 100% of the tank space Haha.

If you have an extra tank with room for more fish you could just choose fish that you wouldn't mind having in either tank and if it doesn't work out transfer them.

I think he would react differently to a fish in a bag rather than just a free swimming fish bc the fish is in this giant intimidating bag. That Is assuming he can see the bag of course.

i just added 4 panda corys to the 50litre betta tank and 3 ghost shrimp. Hes never agressive towards any of them.

It depends on the betta really. Corys are pretty active, not sure they'd do well in a 10 and they tend to shimmy up and down the glass and bolt to the top for air so the betta might not like it. Your betta sounds a bit feisty, I'd keep him alone lol At most you could try some shrimp or a snail but he may go after those too. I tried a snail in with mine and he attacked it within 30 seconds so the snail came out and the betta is by himself in his 10 gal, he seems perfectly happy lol

Ok thanks you guys so much! Yeah he does come off as fiesty to me too lol I might try a snail and see what his reaction is and go from there for tank mates.
What some suggestions for his possible boredom? The tank is moderately planted with silk plants and 2 stone ornaments. Would you think a bubble wall or bubbling ornament would keep him busy?

I read yesterday that bettas like to have a flat leaf near the top of the water that they can rest on, similar to what they would do in a natural habitat.

My betta dives and hangs out in the plants and driftwood to the left. Seems pretty happy. For a good 20 days it never left the surface.

Maybe he needs a girlfriend...

I had betta in a tank on his own and he did what yours is doing, I thought it was due to him seeing his reflection but I've decided to put him in my community as further research shows that this fish has a bad rep for no reason. They are only aggressive toward males of the same species and dwarf gouramis and fish that might look like a male betta.. Mine is doing fine (so far) with a sailfin Molly, albino corys, bristle nose, Congo tetras, rainbows killifish, and an angelfish - I was most worried about the killifish ESP with it looking rather like a betta! Also wasn't sure if congo tetras would be fin nippers, but they haven't done so on my sailfin molly?, But all is good! Suppose it depends on fish like most. But now my betta doesn't swim up glass 'looking at himself' so perhaps it was boredom ?! But my angle (only a young small one) seems to be following my betta everywhere? He doesn't seem to be doing any harm but it's strange lol! Xx

clearancepuppy said:
I read yesterday that bettas like to have a flat leaf near the top of the water that they can rest on, similar to what they would do in a natural habitat.

I do have a leaf suction cupped to the side of the tank close to the surface for him to rest on

Today I hooked up a bubbled so that he'll have something to entertain himself with once he gets used to it :) I will stool look into possible tank mates for the future though since 15 gallons is a lot for one fish, but if he does end up by himself he will be a happy fish with all that room to explore :)

Back
Top Bottom