Betta has whitish stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a 80% WC about 2 days ago and now my betta has some whitish stuff growing on him

It started off on the gills but has traveled all the way underneath his face.

He lives in a 5.5 gallon with 2 blue
Mystery snail.

Any help please?

I did a 80% WC about 2 days ago and now my betta has some whitish stuff growing on him

It started off on the gills but has traveled all the way underneath his face.

He lives in a 5.5 gallon with 2 blue
Mystery snail.

Any help please?

Can you take some photos?

It sounds like an infection. If it's cottony, it's bacterial. If it's light pillowy cotton, it's fungus.

Most surface infection occur because of water quality issues. More frequent water changes are better for your fish, especially since the tank is small. For now, I would change 50% of the water every day. This should clear up the problem. If it's a serious infection, you will need to use drugs, but you need to take the snails out first.

I can't take photos right now because my husbands asleep and he doesn't like the lights on when he's sleeping, but it started off looking blackish/ grayish and then it looked bluish/ whitish. That's when I got worried and honestly it didn't look cloudy or puffy just different color.

Now he just has a little blackish around his gills.

If I add aquarium salt would it help with any infections?

I can't take photos right now because my husbands asleep and he doesn't like the lights on when he's sleeping, but it started off looking blackish/ grayish and then it looked bluish/ whitish. That's when I got worried and honestly it didn't look cloudy or puffy just different color.

Now he just has a little blackish around his gills.

If I add aquarium salt would it help with any infections?

I'm not sure if bettas can take salt. If you have done before, you can add. Take the snails out - they can't take salt at all.

Changing the water every day is a good thing for infections.

Back
Top Bottom