Betta in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do it, but you can try.

It seems to depend entirely on the betta as to whether it works or not. It's a very individual type of experiment and you just have to be sure that you have a Plan B if the community thing doesn't work. You need a separate tank you could put the betta into, if need be.

what size tank is it?
is there a lot of hiding places that are near the surface?
any floating plants?

like stated by Linda its not all that suggested but can be done... the things I asked about will help with your success ...

if you do get a betta always have a back up tank for it if things dont go will

I made it work in an 8 gallon tank, betta and 8 neons, 4 shrimp. but realize things could go bad at any point. could work for a year then fail, that's what makes it so difficult

fishyperson3010 said:
It's a 47 gallon tank but I haven't set it up yet so could do floating plants

I would suggest floating plants, a lot of tall plants and some plants with large leaves (the betta may nap on them :) ) if you want plant suggestions there are lots of people here to help .. and I I'm in the process of heavily planting 4 tanks so I would love to help you

aqueium plants.com seems to have decent rates on shipping And a large selection. I'm going to try order from them in a week or two

fishyperson3010 said:
Yes could you please suggest some plants and do you know of any websites for plants in the UK

what type of lighting is going to be on the tank? and how deep is the tank?

Hi
Can bettas be kept in a community tank with:
Harlequin Rasboras
Neons
Bolivian rams
Zebra danios
Corys
Otos
Zebra loaches
Cherry barbs

Thanks

:D

I have a betta in a 12 gallon community tank, and I searched all over for good tank-mates for him. I originally wanted glo-fish (zebra danios) but heard they were prone to nipping betta fins. I settled on getting cardinal tetras (just like neons, but a little bigger). I have 9 and so far no problem from either side--betta ignores them, they stay away from betta.

My cory completely ignores my betta, but he pisses the betta off when he accidently bumps into him! It's actually fun to watch--the betta flares at him and gives him a stern look, but cory just bobs along completely oblivious. Except for the comic relief, they seem fine together.

I've heard of folks keeping cherry barbs and rasboras with bettas. I'm not sure about the other fish you named. The information I found in various sources discouraged danios and recommended tetras--almost any of the small tetra species.

I also have shrimp, and they're doing fine.

Some things to keep in mind when choosing tank-mates for a betta are to choose fish that don't have long fins or bright colors that will attract the betta, and you don't want fish that are going to be attracted to him. Nipping goes both ways. No other anabantoids, though, like gouramis-- bettas will fight other labyrinth fish just like they were bettas.

I also read that it was better to place your other fish in the tank first and introduce the betta last. That way, he hasn't already staked claim to the whole tank. He's the intruder, so he's less likely to

BarleyBear said:
I have a betta in a 12 gallon community tank, and I searched all over for good tank-mates for him. I originally wanted glo-fish (zebra danios) but heard they were prone to nipping betta fins. I settled on getting cardinal tetras (just like neons, but a little bigger). I have 9 and so far no problem from either side--betta ignores them, they stay away from betta.

My cory completely ignores my betta, but he pisses the betta off when he accidently bumps into him! It's actually fun to watch--the betta flares at him and gives him a stern look, but cory just bobs along completely oblivious. Except for the comic relief, they seem fine together.

I've heard of folks keeping cherry barbs and rasboras with bettas. I'm not sure about the other fish you named. The information I found in various sources discouraged danios and recommended tetras--almost any of the small tetra species.

I also have shrimp, and they're doing fine.

Some things to keep in mind when choosing tank-mates for a betta are to choose fish that don't have long fins or bright colors that will attract the betta, and you don't want fish that are going to be attracted to him. Nipping goes both ways. No other anabantoids, though, like gouramis-- bettas will fight other labyrinth fish just like they were bettas.

I also read that it was better to place your other fish in the tank first and introduce the betta last. That way, he hasn't already staked claim to the whole tank. He's the intruder, so he's less likely to

Ok thanks will add him last

Does anyone know of any hardy fish that will not nip a bettas fins

You may want to check out the betta fish forum bettafish.com. Just like this one but devoted solely to bettas. I think there are some articles about tank mates for bettas. You can probably find lots of folks with experience keeping bettas in a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom