Betta in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would like to add a betta to my 20g community. Wondering if it will work with my stock. Have panda Cory's, green neons and black neons. As well as cherry shrimp. If some shrimp get eaten no big deal. If this won't work would love suggestions for another centerpiece fish. No dwarf gouramis. Just lost mine and broke my heart. Don't want to fall in love with another fragile fish. Oh tank heavily planted with lots of hiding spots.

That should be fine. Bettas, especially long finned bettas, can not handle a lot of current. I'd suggest going with a short finned variety or a female, and keeping the current in the aquarium low.

The only problem I've had keeping bettas in community tanks is that they eat so much of the food you put in. They are much more eager than neons and have bigger mouths and will end up getting fat and bloated while the neons are just taking their normal fill. It's hard to keep a betta's weight under control in a community tank IME.

It will depend on the temperament of the betta. Some betta's are quite mellow and do well in community tanks while other have to be kept alone. I have 4 male betta's in my 220g with a ton of different fish, 1 in a community with neons, endler's, cory's, and oto's, then one in a 6g by himself as he will attack anything, even cory's and oto's. So you can add one but just be certain to monitor the tank for aggression and have a plan if you have to remove him.

I've never had bloat issues with betta's in community tanks since they tend to be much more active than a single betta. My single betta is lazy compared to the ones in the communities so again I think it's an individual issue as to how active they are.

Do you recommend any of the betta variations as being better in a community settings

I've done about every one except King betta's so other than that just pick what you like.

Back
Top Bottom