Betta mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what kind of tank mates I could have for my Bettas!

I currently have two 10g tanks each with a male betta. They are both very calm boys and are very gentle even when eating, and are always super excited when I come home!

I currently have a little filter in each tank that doesn't bother them/ create too much flow but it also keeps my tanks clean (along with weekly water changes of course).

I also have just some aquarium gravel, but if I were to be recommended shrimp and I would get the fluval plant and shrimp stratum!

I am really looking to expand the animals I have (I also have a 29g saltwater) but I want to make sure everything will go together :)

I have mine in community tank with har. Rasboras, neons, cherry barbs, Cory, guppy, and a sinodontis catfish and all is well. It's planted a bit also. I think every betta has its own personality so ya never know until you try. Also, the betta was the last thing put into my tank, idk if yours territorial in the tank

I have mine in community tank with har. Rasboras, neons, cherry barbs, Cory, guppy, and a sinodontis catfish and all is well. It's planted a bit also. I think every betta has its own personality so ya never know until you try. Also, the betta was the last thing put into my tank, idk if yours territorial in the tank

Your tank is gorgeous! I'm jealous!

Also I have quarantine tanks I could put them in while I set up the new substrate and plants and other fish friends and possibly shrimp. Maybe once the new guys settle in and when the tank looks completely different I can add them back and they won't think someone's invading their space. Do you think that could work?

I have two betta tanks, both 10gal (I have one peach guy and the other is purple red and blue). They don't seem to be aggressive at least, never flaring at my finger or anything. I don't think they'd attack much especially if I take them out while I add other fish and inverts in.

Do you think I should plant my tank too just for them to have hiding spaces?

Yes. Bettas prefer natural plants because the plastic ones can tear their fins. I have found that they really like stuff like Hornwort, Cabomba, and Anacharis because they like to roost in that stuff.

Yes. Bettas prefer natural plants because the plastic ones can tear their fins. I have found that they really like stuff like Hornwort, Cabomba, and Anacharis because they like to roost in that stuff.

I've never used plastic plants in any of my tanks, I only had a few little aquatic plans from petco but I'm thinking of finding a better seller for them just because I haven't had much luck with petco fish or plants unfortunately/: I'm definitely heading to my LFS next week to see what they have though, thanks so much for the recommendation!

Also, would fluval plant and shrimp stratum be good for the plants? Or is there a better alternative?

Your tank is gorgeous! I'm jealous!

Also I have quarantine tanks I could put them in while I set up the new substrate and plants and other fish friends and possibly shrimp. Maybe once the new guys settle in and when the tank looks completely different I can add them back and they won't think someone's invading their space. Do you think that could work?

I have two betta tanks, both 10gal (I have one peach guy and the other is purple red and blue). They don't seem to be aggressive at least, never flaring at my finger or anything. I don't think they'd attack much especially if I take them out while I add other fish and inverts in.

Thanks. Not bad for a beginner lol. Well almost a year but I've never kept fish till now. And yea that prob would work, but every betta has its own personality. :). Good luck

Granted I always had FEMALE bettas, but I kept them peacefully with harlequin rasboras and neon tetras :p Also had cory cats and a bristlenose pleco and never had any issues

Granted I always had FEMALE bettas, but I kept them peacefully with harlequin rasboras and neon tetras :p Also had cory cats and a bristlenose pleco and never had any issues

That's so cool! I actually wanted to start a community tank with a female/ females but I saw my little peach guy and I had to take him home! I would start up a new tank but I have nowhere to put it! It's definitely a plan in the future to get some ladies though:)

Removing the bettas and then reintroducing them after some time should be ok. Plants are a must in any tank, wouldn't keep tanks without plants and snails. Sometimes the fish are my 3rd priority. Lol

I'm the crazy old plant and snail guy.

Removing the bettas and then reintroducing them after some time should be ok. Plants are a must in any tank, wouldn't keep tanks without plants and snails. Sometimes the fish are my 3rd priority. Lol

I'm the crazy old plant and snail guy.

I'm hoping it's alright! Also, do you know a reputable store online that I could get some good plants? Or do you just go to your LFS? Also what kind of water do you use in your tank; tap or distilled? I was thinking of getting snails and shrimp as well as new fish, and I know that snails and shrimp don't tolerate copper in the water

Back
Top Bottom