betta problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamchris

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta has a bulge in its stomach that hasn't gone away for a week now. He looks like he's pregnant, and he's been very lethargic recently. What is it, how could he have gotten it, and how can I treat it? Thank you VERY much!

Nevermind, I just read other posts, and I see it's probably dropsy. If I'm wrong, please correct me, but if I'm right, just let this post die. Sorry.

It sounds possibly like he may be constipated. Are there any other signs? Any sores or white patches or anything that signify it may be an illness? Have you seen him go to the bathroom lately?

If it is constipation - try blanching a pea or two and squeezing it out of the skin..if he takes it, it should help

saw your post...are his scales sticking out? that's usually a pretty good sign of dropsy. Also, what are your water params?

Cut the pea to the same size as his regular food and he will probably accept it that way. I use a small paring knife. I feed 4 or 5 little pieces of pea, the same size as the pellet food, and my bettas eat them. I feed pea pieces once a week to help prevent bloating and constipation. It may help your betta now if he will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom