Betta Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I've had Sir Fabian for about a week now. He is so happy in his little tank! He swims around and re-explores his tank all the time. I'm no expert, but he looks real healthy to me.

I had a few questions.
I really don't want to kill him, but I would like to replace the water. I'm nervous about doing this, and I'm wondering if there's anyway to gradually replace it, like take a cup out and pour fresh water of the same temperature in, and then add a bit of conditioner when that's finished.

Mind you, I am close to clueless. :ermm:

I just don't want to make him unhappy, because he looks so darn happy in his tank right now! :D

Also, the filter, it came with two disposable filter cartridges, one of which is in use right now. How often should I replace them?

Another question...my betta seems very occupied with a certain corner of the front of the tank. There are journals leaning against the tank, but that's all that is there. I saw him for the first time get all big and puffed up and aggressive (kind of like if he saw another betta or his reflection) and I don't know why. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help! :fish2:

Hello,
I've had Sir Fabian for about a week now. He is so happy in his little tank! He swims around and re-explores his tank all the time. I'm no expert, but he looks real healthy to me.

I had a few questions.
I really don't want to kill him, but I would like to replace the water. I'm nervous about doing this, and I'm wondering if there's anyway to gradually replace it, like take a cup out and pour fresh water of the same temperature in, and then add a bit of conditioner when that's finished.

Mind you, I am close to clueless. :ermm:

I just don't want to make him unhappy, because he looks so darn happy in his tank right now! :D

Also, the filter, it came with two disposable filter cartridges, one of which is in use right now. How often should I replace them?

Another question...my betta seems very occupied with a certain corner of the front of the tank. There are journals leaning against the tank, but that's all that is there. I saw him for the first time get all big and puffed up and aggressive (kind of like if he saw another betta or his reflection) and I don't know why. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help! :fish2:

how big is your tank? you should change about 20% every week. filter cartridges are good for probably a month five or take. they often flare at their reflections, as long as its for no more than 10-15 minutes a day you should be good :)

You could probably just change out about 30-40% of the water at once. Just make sure the temp of the new water is close to the same out of the tap and add your conditioner to the water before you dump it in!

IMO, filter cartridges are good until they start to fall apart. You don't want to replace them too often because that is where most of your good bacteria live! Just rinse it out in the water that you take out of the tank when you do your water changes, DON'T rinse it under the tap!

Thank you both!
My tank is a tiny 1.5 gallons. I was a little unsure about it, but it's turned out to be working great.
Does the conditioner need to sit in the water for a period of time before I dump it in? I know on the bottle it says to add a little bit every week. I've done that once straight into the tank, but after thinking about it I was unsure if I should have done that or not.
And by rinse, you mean? Like swish it around it the water a bit?

no, it should be good w/o sitting out, i just dump mine into the tank, and you should upgrade to a 5+ gallon asap :/ but ur still doing better than some betta habitats i've seen :)

Oh, and once the old cartridge wears out, slip the new one in behind it (if you can) for a couple weeks before you change them out so the new one can build up some good bacteria. That way you won't stress out your Betta!

Eeek, sorry!
I will do that as soon as I can. I'm trying to think it through, whether the filter can be transferred to a new tank or not...
Also, is a heater required for a betta? I've heard that places before.

Eeek, sorry!
I will do that as soon as I can. I'm trying to think it through, whether the filter can be transferred to a new tank or not...
Also, is a heater required for a betta? I've heard that places before.
yes,they like water around 80 degrees

Abigail said:
And by rinse, you mean? Like swish it around it the water a bit?

Yeah, just get all the slime and chunks out, it doesn't have to be super clean. And once you add the conditioner to your water it's treated, you don't have to keep adding it. In other words, you only have to add it to new water out of the tap.

I put in slightly warmer water. A heater would be very good though.
Thanks for being patient with me and my inexperience. :)

Diet...I feed Fabian bloodworms...what else should be added to his diet, if anything?

my betta likes pellets, they can be very particular about what they like ;) it has a lot to do with what they will eat

make sure u soak bloodworms for like 5 min before feeding or they can constipate bettas

Will bloodworms give enough nutrients, or does there need to be variation?
With my birds, I have switched them all to a pellet diet, which is much healthier for them, but slightly more expensive. Is there a same type of thing in fish?

can't help on that one :/ sorry, never tried bloodworms

In all the bettas I've owned, I've used bloodworms. I have seen pellets at the store in different sizes. Exactly what size should I use if I were to buy some? The smallest are practically dust.

Thank you!
I know what to look for now. You have been very helpful.
About how costly are heaters? The tank I bought has a place made just in case I were to put one in.

well mine was like $10 or something, just a small one, 25 watt for my 5.5 gal, but it doesn't have a setting to maintain temp, its either on or off :( definitely worth investing in, your betta will appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom