Betta Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyssian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a betta in a one gallon bowl currently, had him for a bit under a month, there's gravel and a little skull to hide in. He's doing well and such, but I have some questions.

One, when I bought him (regular pet store, not a special store) he was dark blue with only slight red. Now his fins are kind of a medium bluish and his body is a reddish violet. Is he sick, or is this normal? I feed him regularly (pellets, no live food) and clean the bowl every Sunday. Also, there's a patch under his gills that is whitish. Is he coming down with something?

Also, I was thinking of getting another (small) fish or aquatic creature to put in the tank. I was thinking snail (they sell them at the same shop my betta came from) but couldn't find how to care for them. Any suggestions on what would be the best new addition and where I could find information about it? My fishbowl is just that - no bubbler to keep the water oxygenated. It'd have to be a labyrinth fish (gourami, maybe?) that didn't need extras of that type. I'd be happy to add plants or something if need be.

So I guess my big question (main one) is what fish, snail, shrimp, etc can be put with a betta and not cause problems? Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to AA.

My best guess is that his natural colors are *now* best. I would not worry about this small color change. I assume that you have a male betta (long fins). The small patches near the gills occur when he's excited and flaring, correct? I guess that he is simply ready to spawn. Nothing to worry about, I think.

Something else in the 1 gallon tank: _NO_ ! No fish, no snail, no shrimp. It is already way too small for a betta... However, plants are possible, but not too much: the betta needs some swimming space. I recommend, if possible, to exchange the 1 gallon to a 5 or better a 10 gallons tank for your betta. He will appreciate it more. And you may put something else (at least in the 10). Sorry if it is not what you hoped for!

Really? Geez, thanks. The site I researched on said that 1 gallon was perfect. I'll start browsing for a bigger one, then.

Thanks. ^.^

Bettas *survive* in a 1 gallon tank, but they do not thrive at all (try living in a 100 square feet apt...). They prefer larger tanks. If you have not sufficient place, 5 gallons is a good alternative. Nevertheless, the bigger the better. Especially if you want other fishes. Btw, if you buy a bigger one, do not forget to buy a heater. Bettas and most tropical fishes need 72-80 deg F. Also, do not forget the power filter (no need for an air pump) to clean the tank, and make the cycle.

[center:61e12668d2]:smilecolros: Welcome to Aquarium Advice, lyssian!! :n00b:[/center:61e12668d2]
Most places only recommend a one gal bowl, but that really isn't enough. You could do a five gal and add a couple of cory cats, or snails. There are some on this board that have divided 10 gal tanks with a betta on each side and small cories on the bottom. The larger tanks (5 or 10 gal) can also accommodate a filter and heater. Often room temperature is on the cool end of their preferable temperature range.

Bettas *survive* in a 1 gallon tank, but they do not thrive at all (try living in a 100 square feet apt...). They prefer larger tanks. If you have not sufficient place, 5 gallons is a good alternative. Nevertheless, the bigger the better. Especially if you want other fishes. Btw, if you buy a bigger one, do not forget to buy a heater. Bettas and most tropical fishes need 72-80 deg F. Also, do not forget the power filter (no need for an air pump) to clean the tank, and make the cycle.

Ah, menagerie, we type at the same type... I see you're from Calgary: I go to Banff this summer, cool!

I've a betta in a 2 1/2g with an amano shrimp for a buddy. Personally I feel a 2 1/2g is the smallest one can go with bettas, although if breeding the very small containers are ok (the fish are usually not in there too terribly long). But do keep in mind, bettas come from rice paddy type environments; those are HUGE.

You have remember, that the " shallow water " they come from is knee deep or deeper.

Its not like they flop around in mud puddles, So they require far more room then most LFS tend to acknowledge.

Personally, I keep my bettas in nothing smaller than 10gal tanks.

I would suggest you upgrade to a 10gal [ the price different between the 2 1/2gal, 5gal, and 10gal tanks are negligable at best IME ].

You can spread a thin layer of gravel over the bottom to cover the glass, A nice 50watt heater [ IMO, I use no less than 100watt, but thats just me ], and a bubble filter.

You do not want a HOB power filter, they create far to much current and bettas like little to no movement ini the water.

I use a bubble filter I got from wal-mart, it was 11 dollars [ I got it cheaper because the package was damaged, but everything still worked. ] Comes iwth a little air pump, airhose, T-Valve and filter media itself [Just a plastic frame with some filtration sponges and such inside].

If you do all this I'm sure your betta will be the happiest betta in the world :)

Not to say hes not happy where he is, but keeping in mind the great expanses of water they come from, he would most definately enjoy the exersize he would get from being able to swim around in his own little 10gal world.

the price different between the 2 1/2gal, 5gal, and 10gal tanks are negligable at best IME
True--the 10 gal may be the cheapest! I suggest a 50-watt heater. Then you can definitely give the betta a few small friends.

And please don't put another labyrinth fish in with the betta when you get the larger tank. They occupy the same space in the water and will fight for territory.

I would suggest some inverts, such as snails and shrimp for tank buddies.

Or some bottom dwelling fish, I keep Cory Cats with my male betta, and with my females I keep a Banjo Cat, Red Claw Crab and a Gold Inca snail.

Hi -- everyone has given you excellent advice! I just wanted to share how I keep my bettas. I have 2 bettas, each in their own 5.5 gallon tank, with a 25-watt heater (Visi-Therm brand), a sponge filter (Azoo brand, rated for 15 gallons) and a Tetratec 12 air pump to run the sponge filters. Both sponge filters are run through the pump with a gang valve (Penn Plax) so the pump can operate both filters, and also so the filter doesn't make current (you can adjust the airflow through the filters via the gang valve). I also have 7 silk plants in each tank.

That's how I have my bettas set up, but I think a 10 gallon tank and a 50 watt heater is a good setup too.

Welcome to AA lyssian!! Well, as far as the patch under his gills goes, I've seen that plenty of times, and is also quite noticable on a couple of my guys, so I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the color goes, I'm not surprised. I don't know if it's environment or what. Perhaps he was stressed in the store, and now his real colors are showing. Or maybe he was too cold at one point or another. We bought one awhile back (he has sinced passed due to dropsy :cry: ) and we named him Indigo due to his bluish purple body and fins. He was all one uniform color except for his black head. Well, after about a week he was mostly blue, and half of his finnage was now red with streaks. Why this is, not sure. But I wouldn't worry.

Bettas change color with mood unless they are several generations color bred, and even then a royal blue betta can turn several hues. the only fish my daughter has that don't change their color much is her opaques..though they looked like albinos during our cold power out. my son's extendeed red doesn't change much, he gets a silver beard sometimes when feeling frisky adn a dark transverse stripe when frightened. My marble plakat is white with a spinkle of black red and blue spots, she is also a turquoise betta solid, a royal blue marble and a melano steel oe a royal blue with cream bars....depending on her mood. She is mouse grey with stripes when stressed .

Super pale all though and showing stress bars WITH clamped fins and then you can get worried. :)
you got good advice already..I have no more to offer. WE have split 10 gallons here. Some male fry are in gallon tanks now.

Colour changing bettas confuse me! LOL I had a black butterfly male change to solid red practically over night! I was like "where the heck did he come from?" LOL!

Ugg i hate it when LFS ppl talk about how bettas live in little puddles...But thats why we have AA to let pp know the truth!

ashley

I recently took my betta from a one gallon tank to a community 20 gallon. He is in HEAVEN!!! He looks better, he swims all over the tank constantly. I'll never keep a betta in a "betta tank" again.
Make the investment in a 10 gallon or better. You'll be glad you did.
-Mark

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom