Betta-Safe plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelsnels92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! I'm starting up a new betta tank! It's a 20 gallon tank, and it's going to be display. I'm constructing a DIY divider so that I may keep either two males or a male and a few females together. Anyway, like I said before it is going to be a "display" tank, so it needs to be... pretty. ^^;

However, sources online don't give too much information on what plants are harmful to bettas. I haven't decided what plants to use, but I don't want to be stuck with JUST java fern and some anubias. -_-

Anyone have any suggestions? The tank is... I believe 24 x 12 1/2 x 17 1/2, but each half will have a width of about 12.

NOTE: I DON'T WANT VASE PLANTS! Purely aquatic, with suggestions of foreground, middle-ground, background, and floating plants being LOVELY. :D

kelsnels92 said:
Hey there! I'm starting up a new betta tank! It's a 20 gallon tank, and it's going to be display. I'm constructing a DIY divider so that I may keep either two males or a male and a few females together. Anyway, like I said before it is going to be a "display" tank, so it needs to be... pretty. ^^;

However, sources online don't give too much information on what plants are harmful to bettas. I haven't decided what plants to use, but I don't want to be stuck with JUST java fern and some anubias. -_-

Anyone have any suggestions? The tank is... I believe 24 x 12 1/2 x 17 1/2, but each half will have a width of about 12.

NOTE: I DON'T WANT VASE PLANTS! Purely aquatic, with suggestions of foreground, middle-ground, background, and floating plants being LOVELY. :D

Any real plant is pretty much safe for bettas as far as I know. They don't really eat plants, so mainly anything that doesn't have sharp edges.

Me neither but some things I've read before said to be aware of plants that are poisonous to bettas but they NEVER list them! Thanks for the help. :D

kelsnels92 said:
Me neither but some things I've read before said to be aware of plants that are poisonous to bettas but they NEVER list them! Thanks for the help. :D

No prob.

I've read this in multiple places as well. The best I can figure is that these sources are referring to plants that aren't fully aquatic. I have never had issues with bettas and fully aquatic plants :)

My Betta is in a heavily planted tank. And he is doing great! He loves it! He swim through them all acting like hes on a quest! Hahaha love it! Like others said as long as they are aquatic plants, they will be fine. :)

U use excel as a carbon supplement dont u? It says that vallisneria spiralis melts with excel. How are urs doin?

I avoided alot of nice plants due excel sensitive. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

I do use it with vals and anacharis and what I do is pull a gallon of water from the tank, mix the Excel in with it and pour it back in. Works great for me.

Mr. Limpet said:
I do use it with vals and anacharis and what I do is pull a gallon of water from the tank, mix the Excel in with it and pour it back in. Works great for me.

O sweet that's a good technique. Thanks for sharing :)

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! You think it would be okay to put some DW with him? I don't want it to tear his fins or anything.

Okay I just want to take good care of him cause I ordered him from Thailand and it was expensive -_- haha. Can anyone link me tl the thread with the DW for sale? I can't find it on the app!

You do need to be careful with wood, or anything going in a bettas tank. I use the pantyhose test...if it snags pantyhose it will snag the bettas fins.

betta r slow swimmer so keep in mind to block ur filter tube or u will wake up the next day with some fin missing.

any aquarium plant will do, DW will do. one male per tank.

BlackMagic said:
betta r slow swimmer so keep in mind to block ur filter tube or u will wake up the next day with some fin missing.

any aquarium plant will do, DW will do. one male per tank.

Lol that isnt true. My Betta is in a 10g with ac70 and he's fins are fine.

Lol that isnt true. My Betta is in a 10g with ac70 and he's fins are fine.

Don't put ur hopes up so high,
His time will come when the filter intake suck him up.
Ur betta probly don't have long fin.

BlackMagic said:
Don't put ur hopes up so high,
His time will come when the filter intake suck him up.
Ur betta probly don't have long fin.

It sounds like u are cursing me. But I highly doubt my Betta will get sucked by the intake of my ac70. Firstly I've had the Betta since he's a juvenile and he managed nicely. Secondy, my Betta does have long fins.

Well he came today so hopefully he does okay I'm en route to bein home but apparently the mailman was being pretty rough with him :/

Back
Top Bottom