Betta tank mates, not looking good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank to house a wild caught Male Thai Flag crowntail. The person that I get my fish from who has been in the business for a very long time has successfully set up a similar tank and has 4 dwarf coreys, some shrimp and some neons. My first attempt at red cherry shrimp didn't go well, 3/4 were eaten first day. Tried some Ghost shrimp next as they are bigger, disappear against the white sand substrate. They lasted about 3 days before being killed. I have snails in the tank and he seems to be leaving them alone, but my idea of having a few community fish to go with him is quickly dwindling. Any ideas?

The betta is being territorial. If you put him in first, he claims the whole tank for himself and it will be hard to get him to share. Try some docile fish that swim in the middle and bottom areas of the tank like female feeder guppies.You can have up to three in a 10 gallon with a betta.They're a dull enough color so as not to make him be too aggressive. I wouldn't recommend similar fish that swim in the same areas as him. Just watch him carefully and take out the new fish if he gets too aggressive.Good luck!

When I was new to the hobby, I was convinced I could have a betta with tank mates. Unfortunately my betta ate up 4 tetras in 48 hours. I did a bit more research and realized that was not going to be possible - at least not with the betta I had.

If you do find success with this, I’d love to hear about it and hope you update us!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom