Betta tank too large :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I moved my betta from a 10g tank to a 20g a couple weeks ago. I was hoping he'd like it but he has done nothing but hide since he got in the tank. He comes out to eat and goes right back to hiding :(

I can only guess that the tank is too large because he was never one to hide in his 10g tank even after the few times I completely redid it.

Either heavily plant it or wait and maybe hell adhust. Otherwise put it into a smaller tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah mine didn't like going from the 3 to the 10.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I had mine in a 1:( then I moved it to a 3 and now all it does is sit still and hide

Fishobsessed7

Our male betta was in a 2g (about 1.25 of swimmable space), and when we moved him to the 10g, he LOVED IT. Then we put him back in the 2g to treat some fin rot... then back into the 10g, which again, he loved. Sadly he passed away from dropsy last month :( I miss him so much.

Our female betta doesn't seem to care too much about being in the 10g, and she's going to live in a 4-5g tank soon since we discovered she was snacking on our pygmy catfish... Right now she is floating in a cup in the 10g to keep away from our catfish until we get a home for her.

My other betta (disappeared) loved it when he was moved from the 1 to the the ten, but this one...

Fishobsessed7

I had one many years ago that was the same. Upgraded him from a 2.5 to 5.5 and he was miserable. Thought he was getting sick so I put him back in his old tank and he went right back to being Mr. attitude. Lived several healthy years in that tank. My current male absolutely loved it when I transferred him from the 5 gallon he was sold in and put him in his ten gallon. Funny how their personalities differ so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It happens a lot. Think of it like this, these fish are used to small cups with little to no water flow. You toss them into a large tank and they feel vulnerable so they hide. He may adjust or he may just prefer the smaller tank. Also, they dont like a lot of flow as it makes it hard for them to catch the food, so they often starve............especially if there are other fish who eat faster.

It happens a lot. Think of it like this, these fish are used to small cups with little to no water flow. You toss them into a large tank and they feel vulnerable so they hide. He may adjust or he may just prefer the smaller tank. Also, they dont like a lot of flow as it makes it hard for them to catch the food, so they often starve............especially if there are other fish who eat faster.
True, mine was never in anything smaller than a 10g since he was a fry though.

We unplug the filter when we feed our fish, then plug it back in after they've eaten or until the food has settled to the bottom in the case of the catfish. Solves the food drifting away problem. I'd have to give the betta another pellet or worm because it would drift away! And the tiny food we give the catfish would just get sucked to the prefilter! Not good.

I put some of the rejects from my guppy breeding program and he perked right up... Guess he just wanted some company.

Back
Top Bottom