Betta with pop-eye? On death row? :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sudz.. If I remember right they sell a seperate thermostat controlled unit that you plug them into that turns them off and on as needed.. (it keeps tabs on how warm the "habbitat" is)

Alrighty, Update: I got over to london, With a shiney new 2.5 gallon tank, a small "pad" heater (under gravel or stick on side) With it on the tank is 80, when she turns on the light, the tank creeps up to 82. Its fairly stable.

we actually took his old tank and put it IN the new tank to SLOWLY bring the water up to temperature. Once done, i cupped him in the cup that we orginally bought him and put him in the new tank.

THe new tank also has a small internal filter, i seeded it with some of my own tanks filter material, but not much.

The fish appeared to stabilize, and then ONE eye turned BLACK, he started swimming sideways, and one gill swelled to be about twice the normal thickness of his body. We euthanized him. Did a 95% water change, She cried for a bit, then decided she wanted 3 fish. So we have 3 small Harlequin rasboras The guy at the LFS said they won't grow over an inch and a bit, so they should be ok in the tank. I'm still feeling a little bit bad for em, as a 2.5 isn't exactly big, but She wouldn't really have anything else. She didn't want another betta.

Well, It sucks that her old fish died, but she loves her new ones already. She named them too. I can't remember what the names are, but they are after 3 famous poets from the 1800's.

May Vlad the impaler rest in peace. He will forever be remembered.
(we changed the poster that she made for him to "here was the home of..." instead of "welcome to the home of...")

What kind of meds did you use?

My Bala had Popeye, and got puss also when it popped. I used Maracyn Two, and it did the trick for him. His eye is permanently indented now, but you can see his eyeball inside moving, and looks to have fairly decent sight out of that eye. He definitely can tell when the cat is nearby, no matter what direction he's facing, lol.

As for Betas, I don't know much about them and how they react to meds. But my experience with popeye and Maracyn Two has been a good one. Bala is healthy, and now in his new home, the 55G I fishless cycled.

Sorry you had to euthenize him. Hope the new fish work out well......

We weren't able to get meds in time. The trip that was supposed to go get meds ended up getting new fish instead (as the fish made a quick turn for the worse)

The pop-eye had popped about 2 days before i arrived, However, the fish was forever "crooked" in its resting posotion, it would make about a 135 degree line (45 degrees from straight) It also had puffed up on one side, the scales were sticking out as well.

Betta's are apparently highly sensitive to meds, or so my local LFS tells me (and pointed me to some "specailized" medicine for betta's)

Back
Top Bottom