Betta with stringy yellow poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosemary

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I was brought a betta to rescue--he had been living in filthy water.

Outwardly he looks normal, though smaller than my other betta, but this morning I saw he has stringy yellow poop hanging off of him.

He is hiding a lot and not eating (don't know what his previous owner was feeding him).

What kind of treatment will help with the stringy poop?

Tank:
10 gallon, heated (80F), filtered, and cycled (set up months ago in hopes of rescuing a betta, did fishless cycling with food)
ammonia, nitrite: 0

Try peas first. My bettas will eat peas. I use frozen peas -- they don't turn to mush in the tank like canned peas do. I boil the frozen peas for 4 1/2 minutes on high, cool, rinse in some bottled water, and peel the skin off. Throw the skin away, and feed the "meat" of the pea. Cutting or breaking the pea in little pieces, about the same size as his pellet food, will get him to accept it. Feed about 4 to 5 of the little pea pieces. I feed the pea pieces once a week, to keep their digestive system in good health. Also, fasting once a week is good for them too.

Jungle brand Pepso food will treat parasites. I would try the veggies first too, but if he still hides or is lethargic, try the Pepso food. You may have to break it into smaller pieces also.

A heated, filtered, cycled 10 gallon tank is an excellent home for a betta!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom