Betta wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trynitey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a Betta last Friday and have since then put him into my 20 Gal tank. He is not eating anything and hasnt since I got him. Its been 5 days and he still has not eaten anything. What is wrong and how can I get him to eat?

My bettas didn't eat until about day 7. New fish need time to get used to their new surroundings. Another reason I think my bettas took awhile to eat is that they were fed live food where I got them, and I wanted them to eat freeze-dried and pellet food. So, they need time to become accustomed to their new tank and new food, if it's different from what they were eating. Don't worry -- not eating for 5 days will not hurt him, and he will eat when he's ready! Just keep trying to feed him, and keep introducing the food that you want him to eat. My bettas like freeze-dried bloodworms and daphnia, and for pellet food they like Marineland Bio-Blend Betta and Hikari Betta Gold. I soften both of these pellets in a little cup of tank water for a few minutes first, then feed it to the bettas.

Another thing to consider...are any other fish in the tank harrassing the betta, or is the current too strong? Bettas don't like current. Maybe you could adjust the filter a bit so the current isn't as strong, or maybe move the filter to try to create a place in the tank of low current for the betta.

sad betta

An t already said what may bother him personally. The higher temp of an aquarium should perk him up. I hope if he was a retail betta you QT'd him first.
If there are not any hiding places or if there are few guarded by current occupants; your betta will be nervous and depressed also (where the "betta like small places better myth stems from. No, they just don't like wide open spaces. They like big space just fine!)

Not eating wont hurt him but look for signs of betta stress/illness
(fin clamping, gasping, staying at the surface ALL the time and the easiest, poor pale color. If you see ANY signs of stripes on him that indicates EXTREME stress for a male and you should try introducing him at a different point)
Once comfortable and used to the foods you offer, bettas pretty much eat everything you stick in the tank. If not, and you reeeally want him to eat? I haven't met a betta yet that says "no" to bloodworms.

He seems to like the 20Gal tank since there is room for him to swim and plenty of places to hide 4 plants and a "treasure chest" and no other fish harassing him b/c I only have 6 molly fry in there. No signs of stress or anything and he comes up to the tank when I get to it and shows off by swimming (he likes to be looked at) and he pretty much stays in the middle of the tank to the side where one of the plants are.... Im guessing that he is just trying to be accustomed to the surroundings and what im trying to feed him. I guess we'll see what happens in a few more days. Just dont want him to starve is all.

Half of mine sleep at the top and the other half sleep on the bottom. Most of mine like to lounge on "couches" of plants. Especially the girls. Allof my tanks are decorated and planted with a mix of real/silk.
Trynys betta sounds like a new purchase dumped into the tank by her short description.

no

Yeah, he was purchased new, that is usually how you get them... I put him in a QT first and all seemed well... he seems healthy just not eating... I didnt just "throw" him in a tank.

Try something really delicious like a live worm, or live adult brine shrimp, if you can find them. Frozen bloodworms are usually irresistable, too. Be sure the not eaten food is getting removed, as well. It is probably a case of the new digs jitters, and will likely resolve. Good luck!

Re: no

Trynitey said:
Yeah, he was purchased new, that is usually how you get them... I put him in a QT first and all seemed well... he seems healthy just not eating... I didnt just "throw" him in a tank.

Heh, we posted at he same time..If I had seen the other post I'd have not even mentioned it.
And it just sounded abrupt... :wink:

Actually he should be fine soon then. Just keep an eye on him and add maybe a floating plant decoration for him to lurk in. :)
It'll be okay and once he is comfortable, you'll see the real beauty that had fanciers save the long tail mutations.

Back
Top Bottom