bettafix - Can I treat in a community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cutlercutie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I have one betta, one otto cat fish, and two shrimp. I want to treat my betta with betta fix but was unsure if i could treat the whole tank or if i need to put him in a separate tank. Will betta fix harm my other fish and can i use it with a filter?

I have a 5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I have one betta, one otto cat fish, and two shrimp. I want to treat my betta with betta fix but was unsure if i could treat the whole tank or if i need to put him in a separate tank. Will betta fix harm my other fish and can i use it with a filter?

Whats wrong with the fish that you think you need betta fix?

His fins have begun to fray and a section fell off alltogether. I believe he might have fin rot. I had my water tested. Everything was good except my Ph was low

The pictures dont show the damage that well. The top fin is partly missing with large gaps making it look like a crown tail betta. the bottom fin is starting to curl

We need really clear shots. Those aren't clear enough. It sounds like it could be finrot but there's no way to tell for certain without clearer pictures.

ForumRunner_20131206_082408.jpg

ForumRunner_20131206_082415.jpg

Hope these are better. I took a couple more. They are on page two. Four pics total

Could be finrot. What are your water changes like? Is he in a cycled tank? How much water do you change and how often? How big is the tank, what filtration, and what temperature is it at?

If you're going to treat this fish, I'd suggest moving it to a little 2 gallon cube with a cycled filter and heater and treating it there.

There's no point in subjecting the other fish in this community tank to medication if they have no illness.

He is in a five gallon filter tank. The temp is kept at 75. I change the water once a week. Taking and replacing one gallon. I have separated him and started treating him. He was getting worst everyday but since I started treating him yesterday he has gotten no worse.

I've been watching my fish carefully and my Betts has stabilized. His fins are no worst. So I'm thinking my shrimp might have been eating his fins as they both like the same plant.

Back
Top Bottom