Bettas I rescued from walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can appreciate you feeling sorry for the fish, but as mentioned above, you have now added to the store's profit margin, thus allowing them to continue to treat their fish this way.

And I have to say, please do not call this a rescue. It was a purchase. I have been involved in dog rescue for over 20 years. It wrenches my stomach every time I hear someone refer to a WalMart betta purchase as a "rescue". That term has strong meaning to people like me and should not be tossed around lightly. I hope you understand.

Although I do understand your opinion, with respect, I have to disagree. Every individual betta is a separate entity and you are rescuing a betta from a cup if you decide to purchase one. There is no denying this logic. It is true you are not breaking the cycle. If someone goes to the humane society and saves an animal from being put down, is that not a rescue? This will not end the cycle either. If you are removing a betta from it's environment and saving it from it's almost inevitable fate of being kept in a jar, then what else besides a rescue shall we call it?

Laser said:
Although I do understand your opinion, with respect, I have to disagree. Every individual betta is a separate entity and you are rescuing a betta from a cup if you decide to purchase one. There is no denying this logic. It is true you are not breaking the cycle. If someone goes to the humane society and saves an animal from being put down, is that not a rescue? This will not end the cycle either. If you are removing a betta from it's environment and saving it from it's almost inevitable fate of being kept in a jar, then what else besides a rescue shall we call it?

We aren't saying this will end the cycle but being that I work with dogs for a living and adoption agencies I can tell you first hand the more dogs that are adopted and rescued the less people will breed for a quick buck because there aren't people buying them.. it may hurt a few generations that are bred but without a demand the supply will decrease. That's not to say there won't be some unwanted breedings but there are way to many people thinking that they can just breed two pure breds and make a couple thousand dollars without any paper work or lineage and end up stuck with half the litter....

Oh geezs;) opinions are like personalities(would have inserted something else;)), everyone's is different:) I have "rescued" four of the five fur babies in my house and they all were in harmful environments...it boils down to helping an animal when it is in trouble. And I would adopt from the pound or rescue group before I would buy "purebred". But they will still put dogs/cats down in shelters and still sell in pet stores. It's a sad part of life...

hcourts said:
Oh geezs;) opinions are like personalities(would have inserted something else;)), everyone's is different:) I have "rescued" four of the five fur babies in my house and they all were in harmful environments...it boils down to helping an animal when it is in trouble. And I would adopt from the pound or rescue group before I would buy "purebred". But they will still put dogs/cats down in shelters and still sell in pet stores. It's a sad part of life...

Well at least you've improved their quality of life :)

Its a kind gesture to want to save the individuals but at what cost? A simple business model can explain supply and demand. If you buy one they'll replace it with another, probably even add more with the increased demand.

So in the big scheme buying "rescue" fish like this only dooms more to the same fate and one also financially supports the business that is keeping them in deplorable conditions to begin with. Its like winning a battle only to lose the war.

This isn't a stab at those who buy these animals, most of us probably have. And I think some do it because there are humanitarian motives behind it, or simply because we didn't know any better.

Because of that I attempt to try to open people's eyes up to the big picture.

UPDATE: Lucky is doing better today an is eating his food. He still takes his time eating but as long as he is eating I'm happy. Bruce is also a very happy little fish. He is always so excited to get his two pellets in the morning. They both seem to be doing well.

This morning I found bubbles on the surface of the water where Lucky is staying. It's not a bubble nest, just a few dozen bubbles scattered around the surface of the water. Does this mean he's happy? I know happy Bettas often make bubble nests so I was wondering what this meant.

UPDATE: Lucky is happily eating pellets now and his fins are staring to grow back! Bruce is doing great and looks like he's healing up too. :) It looks like they are both going to make full recoveries!
:fish1:

I am really glad to hear that they are both doing well. I thank you for saving two fishes lives. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom