Beyond confused & new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank cant hold that many tetras, that will not end well.. That is why I suggested the danio version, they are smaller. The tetras are simply TOO big for that tank. I tend to stock high density in my nano tanks but even I wouldn't put that many fish that size in a 9!

Oh any time. I love seing people get panted tanks and such, its the best part of the hobby. I currently use sechem gravel in black, I am sure fluval makes one as well! I suggest checking out a few of the vendors here to get plants from, I have actually ordered from a few and had GREAT experence!

My email this morning from Amazon that my delivery has been delayed until Thursday so I did my partial water this morning & did a dip test here are my readings is there anything you can see from this tell me whether the seeded or upgraded tank is heading in the right direction so I’m not a worry wart until my test kit gets here?

Attachments

• 032C3E75-CDCC-44C5-A705-C6FDAD4AAACC.jpg
    032C3E75-CDCC-44C5-A705-C6FDAD4AAACC.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 18
Keep on top of your water changes and you are fine. You results don't look terrible at all. Unless I have a heavy planted tank or am fiddling with co2 I rarely test my tanks, I do small water changes almost daily anyways.

Thanks so much
I absolutely will.
So the only reason I considered adding more was for them to ultimately be less stressed and in a group As they would prefer
. Without being able to convince the family to return the ones we have I am trying to come up with a short list of what we could ultimately add instead.
Obviously not too much more of anything. but the skirt tetras are new to me entirely. And trying to balance what dad and the kids have while wanting to what’s best. I would happily take opinions on a short list that I can take to them. Of our current options moving forward

All you can add in that tank as it is, is more skirts. They are a larger tetra and known to be nippy. They will die early, may last a year. They are too big for that tank. Even adding a snail is a bad idea, and shrimp cant take the bad water quality or the abuse.

Ok what would be the total amount of skirts you would have total? I did some looking at the brands of substrate and I did see those two brands. I found a great article and was looking at the pros and cons and hoping to figure out the easiest way to dive in after reading I am kind of surprised I have done this well. Probably the variety I have.
I have two types of plants one is I believe a foxtail and Anubia ? ( spelling ?) I would love to have more
I will peek around vendors.

You need about 5 for their security, the tank size honestly allows for three. My honest opinion is get the five but feed a TINY TINY BIT every other day. I don't care if they beg, they don't need but a bit the size of their eye. Most fish are overweight!

Anubis, you where close. It comes in some neat strains. Look at the "wisteria" java fern. Easy to grow and looks fancy!

Ok that seems like a great plan. And the kids and dad get what they want .
Thanks again. I will look into some more plants when I get some substrate. I am so eager for my kit to get here. :)

You need about 5 for their security, the tank size honestly allows for three. My honest opinion is get the five but feed a TINY TINY BIT every other day. I don't care if they beg, they don't need but a bit the size of their eye. Most fish are overweight!

Anubis, you where close. It comes in some neat strains. Look at the "wisteria" java fern. Easy to grow and looks fancy!

Ok yesterday we talked about an upgrade and I have a friend of a friend bringing me one.
It’s fully cycled active and ready.
It’s a 20 long and I would absolutely love your opinions on how to move forward ...
The tank will be here tonight and I can answer specific questions

However i believe this tank has some compatibility issues anyway. I have friends I can rehome to. But can you help me work this out?
Keeping in mind my skirt tetras

This tank has

about 7 guppies, female and male.
1 wh cloud and 3 golden clouds. And 2 random shy fish that I was given on Fb. All are very good and like to school together. & two African dwarf frogs
Agh lol help

Honestly I’m not even opposed to temporarily having both tanks running while I work on finding homes for all of the inhabitants.If I have to Ultimately hubby wants just one tank

My first thought? tell hubby they can mess up the 20 all they want and make the 9 your personal tank :dance: Then again.... I am partial to nano planted tanks!

Stocking suggestion
5 glowtertas
Remove all but one male guppy, keep all females
Either rehome the clouds, or get a few more for security from the tetras
Rehome the frogs OR put them in the old small betta tank
If you rehomed the clouds get 3 or 4 cory cats
Get 4-5 mystery snails (they get big)

Get me a picture of "random shy fish" that could be so, so many things!

Please do not get a pleco.

That's my suggestions. Or at least what I would do!

I am trying to get some good photos while partially filling the tank. These are the fish in the container I will post a couple more
I have the tank 3/4 full and did a test strip I will post it too.

Attachments

• E8738C8D-54A3-49CD-A4F5-81C275F33BAE.jpg
    E8738C8D-54A3-49CD-A4F5-81C275F33BAE.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 10
  • A0589F6C-213B-4CCC-A757-0ED459EDF5D1.jpg
    A0589F6C-213B-4CCC-A757-0ED459EDF5D1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 410E35CA-9E13-41BA-866D-8A093F23AB29.jpg
    410E35CA-9E13-41BA-866D-8A093F23AB29.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 10
This tank also doesn’t seem to have an under ground or hob filter just a sponge I believe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 17
  • B06BDADA-FF8D-4EE0-BEFB-6179B84CA0B6.jpg
    B06BDADA-FF8D-4EE0-BEFB-6179B84CA0B6.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 13
They all appear to be guppies & white cloud minnows with the exception of this fish I don’t know what it is

Attachments

• 8BD44B54-EE06-4383-80E4-01D01A7DD935.jpg
    8BD44B54-EE06-4383-80E4-01D01A7DD935.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 15
Here is another pic

Attachments

• 7303CB6E-231A-405A-A01F-E7E71D4083C3.jpg
    7303CB6E-231A-405A-A01F-E7E71D4083C3.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 13
A sponge filter as long as it has enough flow is actually okay. I would set it upright. Unfortunately you will have to treat this as a new tank. Rehome the fish you wish and add NO MORE FISH. Not even the tetras for two weeks. Do small water changes daily. Yes I realize its a pain. But you are going to do a fish in cycle and that is going to be ROUGH.

I would use the 9 gallon for a quarantine for now. When the two weeks are up, transfer the tetras and go buy your snails/tetras and house them there. Always quarantine! After that, I say keep the nine as a personal project. Grow some pretty plants, stock it with shrimp and some pretty little nano fish and make the fam wish they had listened! :ROFLMAO:

I can honestly say I am not quite sure what fish that is, I hope someone will chip in. If I had to hazard a guess, I wold say a poor rainbowfish!

Ok, This is gonna be kind of rough. At least the kit will be here today.
It is essentially seeded though correct? It’s not quite like a bran new tank Fish in cycle though right? And I what about plants or substrate? Those need to stay separated too? I did already add the floating plants to the 9 gallon.
And I am working on finding homes for the fish and frogs. While also trying to be a fortune teller and decide if we would want any of them later haha I think the frogs are gonna be a hard match and am hoping to find a home soon. The kids thing they are cute but I am not sure I am ready to take on that as well.

I do not know how carefully it was moved. You do not know if the tank was in good shape before you moved it. Treat it as a new tank, things will go better!

Plants well... Its a it late but plants should honestly QT too, things can be on them. Frogs aint hard to keep at all. If you do, I would keep them in a species only tank though!

Back
Top Bottom