BIG Pleco blues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to discuss big plecos. When I say big, I mean 10"+...

I've got a Pleco of around 13" that's to the point that he has a hard time turning around in my 55 gal tank. He is longer as the tank is wide and has to rub his nose against the front/back glass and "wiggle" to get turned around unless he "looks up" to take advantage of the depth...

His poo is overwhelming... He is really hard on the plants, just by virtue of his size. He uproots everything that's not bordered by large rocks. He can't reach into normal nooks and crannys for feeding anymore. He requires a rather large shelter from the light, since he's nocturnal, which coupled with all the plant "shields" severely restricts my planting opportunities. As a result of the nocturnal habits, we very seldom get to enjoy his better traits. I need to move in the spring and the thought of transferring him from the 55 into a transport container is weighing on me even now. I'll need a game net to hold him or a friend to help me up-end the mostly empty tank into a cooler for his ride to the new house. He is beautiful and healthy, but I'm considering the possibility of finding him a new home. He's older than my kids and dogs! I've had him for more than 8 years...long enough that I can't remember exactly how long we've had him...

The new house will not be able to support a third, larger-yet tank. The 70 bowfront isn't much wider than the 55 (mostly, it's deeper)

Thoughts? Options? Sympathy?

No pics, sorry...

wow.. that is such a bummer.. i do feel for you. I just got a 56 tall which is wide 18" and even taller 24". But im afraid im fully stocked. Possibly give it to a pet store to find a home for store credit. My LFS has 2 huge sharks that some guy dropped of with thier noses cut open and hurting from turning around.

As a fellow "big-Pleco" keeper, I can sympathize with you. Indeed, you should move him into a bigger tank and as you said, the bowfront is not that much larger in surface area.

If you can, a 75 is a much better option (the footprint for a 75 or 90 is not that much bigger than the 55). The more room, the merrier. If it makes you feel better large pleco's can be moved by hand. He may even look forward to the ride to the new tank.

i sympathise with you--i have a few plecs that, once full grown, will be too big for my 125. i think you should find a new home for the guy, or give him to a pet store (a nice one :)). he's probably really uncomfortable in your tank and the best you can do for him is move him. it's too bad you can't have a larger tank--i bet he's really cool.

i hope it works out for you!

You might want to check with a local zoo if you have one. or a fish hatchery. They usually have nice big displays and could accomodate it and then it would have a permanent home. Of course, if that isnt an option, then you have the petstores...

I can offer some sympathy, My sailfin is a 9" without tail(12" with) clutz.. he moves very elegantly at night, but his shear size makes him uproot plants (tho I have seen him deliberately uprooting anubias :evil:

If you can, pick up a 75Gal tank, even with your same filtration it will offer him some more roaming space, tho I doubt it will help, plants spread, he get's confined, it's the way of the tank. I'll be giving mine to my sister with 2 Bala's and a 75Gallon tank, I'll get a 125 and another school of tetras, also complete the schools I have. My sister won't plant the tank heavily, and decorations aren't really a prob, besides I'll stop by every so often to make sure he's taken care of.

If it's an option, a 65 would also suit him well, they are only 3' long so you gain side to side space (he loses) but they are 18" deep, making the area larger for him, and the space it takes less.. just an option, I know the tanks are cheap, it's all the accessories like lighting that run up a tab.

Thanks for the thoughts and sympathy!

I have three floors in the new house. Two will have aquariums. I'm putting a 70 in the kitchen and a 55 in the master bedroom. No room in the living spaces...all the walls are too short! Windows everywhere. The basement will be a theater, so it's cruicial to have on-demand lighting control; not an appropriate situation for living organisms...

One of my LFS has a set of floor tanks. One with large (3') eel and the other with a large (3') catfish. Neither are for sale. I wonder if they would be interested in my big boy... Hate to get rid of him, but I also don't want to cramp his style any more!

13 inches ain't nothing, i had one that was pushing 16 and i still was able to catch him in an 8 inch net, he didn't like though lol neitehr did i for that matter lol, as for transporting, i have done this several times with my old aglea eater, i paid the lady who bags these things at pet stores to coem do mine i na styrofaom shipping container they had, then poked a small hole sfor an airline tube and hooked it up to a portable air pump and he did fine, longest time was 3 1/2 hours, try wearing big yellow rubber gloves when ya catch him, like the ones ya wash dishes with lol

Back
Top Bottom