Bigger tank more accessories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SasaC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I am getting a 125 gallon tank( more or less)
I was wondering if its better to have 2 filters or one big place in the middle?
Or a filter that can also heat the water?
And how many heaters should i have?

What do you guys have and what do you think is best?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All of the options you present are totally valid and would work.

My recommendations is always going to be two filters and two heaters. It is simply a matter of redundancy. I always like to overfilter as well and two filters makes that easier.

I would not recommend getting a heater built into your filter. The failure rate of heaters is fairly high and I have not seen a great integrated unit. I would look at Hydor Eth inline heaters if you are planning on using canister filters. I would also look into getting an external heater controller.

2 filters>1 even if you have like and FX or something I would still run a HOB just encase. I would run 2x200 or 250 watt heater, if one gets stuck on it wont really be enough to boil the tank but if one burns out the other should be able to keep temps stable or a few degrees under till you figure out the issue.

If you don't want to see a heater in the tank buy a Hydor inline.

And it works fine?

I have a Hydor 200W on my 20g since about 1 year and it works very well

Cool i might just try that then

Thanks

I have used many of the Hydor Eth heaters over the years and I have had lower failure rates than with any other heater.

We didnt know what is was but we sure will look into that.
Thanks everyone

Two filters and two heaters is greater redundancy, but there's more to it than that. Having two helps more evenly distribute flow and heat throughout the tank. It's all around good stuff. If you don't want the extra cost of getting two, you can look into the Eheim Jager heaters. They're more efficient and longer than other heaters, meaning they tend to heat the tank more evenly than any other single heater would. They aren't inline heaters however, so if you're looking to avoid equipment in the tank then you'll want to stick with the two of the one recommended earlier by other posters.

Back
Top Bottom