Bill's return of the 12 gallon long...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I told my wife that I plan to build a new tank stand and after I got past the eye roll I told her that I can stain it to match the cabinets in the fish room, errr, office. Fortunately I have a pair of extra cabinet doors so half of the work is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Consider C habrosus instead of julii. True julii are very difficult to find. Habrosus fit Nano tanks great ?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks coursair... Where did you find yours? I don't believe I've seen them anywhere...

Thanks coursair... Where did you find yours? I don't believe I've seen them anywhere...

I'm lucky enough living 45min from San Francisco that I have some awesome LFSs. I got mine from a store in San Jose, CA. Neptune's Aquatics
http://www.neptuneaquatics.com
The owners and some staff are club members as well. I get a little discount ;)

They are available seasonally on Aquabid. Check with WetSpot.

My club member stopped breeding them. He still sells C hastatus occasionally.

Check for a local club as well. My club does group buys on occasion to keep costs down, esp on Nano fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a little more work done on the stand this morning...

I decided the top front board was a bit taller than most of the ada stands I've seen, so I changed it out for a different board. I also re-did the bottom and added a pedestal.

My next step is to sand where all the boards meet flush(my cuts and assembly were not perfect.) And then disassemble the entire thing. My plan is to skin the inside walls with white laminate, glue and reassemble the stand, then finish of the outside with a black or espresso laminate.

So, I got some more work done on the ada style stand. Last weekend I purchased the white Formica for the inside of the cabinet and got it all on. I disassembled the entire stand, and attached the Formica to each board. Then I used a flush router bit to finish off all the edges. Not too hard of a job if you have all the proper tools. Lastly, today, I decided to build the light bar for hanging my fixture. I used 1/2" electrical conduit and a conduit bender. Anyways, here's a few grainy cell phone pics. I apologize for the poor image quality...

The inside of the cabinet...

How neat the seams came out!

Nice u shaped clamps holding the light bar in place on the inside, completed with SS screws and washers.

A few more...

Still extremely happy with how everything is turning out. I'm going to order the matte black laminate for the outside of the stand later today. Still have to build the doors, shelves, and purchase some hinges.

Very nice, Bill! Did you buy a conduit bender for this project? Luckily when I did mine, the guys at home depot helped me with the double 90° bends. I think I would have had mucho problemos if I went solo on it.. lol

Last edited:
Very nice, Bill! Did you buy a conduit bender for this project? Luckily when I did mine, the guys at home depot helped me with the double 90° bends. I think I would have had mucho problemos if I went solo on it.. lol

Thanks Brian! I went ahead and bought the bender... I've got another surprise project in the works, so I'll get some more use out of it... ;) the bends weren't too hard to make. I might buy another piece and have another go at it, I think I may have trimmed it too short... I guess we'll see how it looks with the tank on the stand first... I'm really taking my time with this project. I want this tank to have the perfect stand it deserves, and that I've been wanting for so long!

Is that the iron on laminate? Looks spiffy man. Ahh the wonders of a flush cut router:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nah, I didn't bother with iron on edging. I used that before on a work bench and the stuff doesn't stick for beans... I just used the normal laminate and contact cement.

Looks great..you can tell a lot of thought went in to it..

Thanks! I've been dreaming of this stand for a while now!

On another note, I got the laminate ordered for the outside yesterday. Should be here by next weekend. I'm going to try to get the doors cut and test fit sometime this week while I'm waiting for the laminate to arrive. Hopefully I'll be able to find some free time! :)

So, I need some opinions... Should I sand down the light bar for a "brushed" aluminum look, or paint it black? The stand, fixture, and tank background will all be black.

I think you should give it the brushed look. It'll give the setup an accent color so to say.

2 votes for brushed look

2 votes for brushed look

+1. If you don't like it you could always paint it. Much easier than the other way around.
The brushed look does not clash with the switch plate cover on the wall. Then again, the black would match the mirror frame.

Back
Top Bottom