bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I am going to change my FW tank into a SW do I need to replace all of my bio balls with new?

Yeah it might be a good idea! I think anything that you used for FW you'd want to give a thourough washing ... if not replace it!

Even better idea is to skip the Bio-Balls and replace them with some LR rubble! Bio-Balls and Wheels are known to harbor a lot of nitrates!

I currently have a 75 gal sw tank how would I go about swapping those bioballs with lr? Do you do it slowly or all at once. Also can it be any kind of lr like the figi lr because the lr I have in the tank was very expensive but nice to look at. Also how much should I buy to replace the balls?

Michelle, how much LR in the tank? If you have 75 lbs + then you can toss the balls and not worry about anything in the sump or W/D. Take the Bb out a little at a time over a week or 2

I took mine our (25% of them per week) and had no water quality issues. Just take your time.

You don't have to change your bioballs, just wash with a mild chlorine solution and then rinse with something like Prime or another water conditioner to remove chlorine. Bioballs will work fine as long as they don't become too clogged with gunk.

Back
Top Bottom