Bio Spira Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I knew what I was doing I bought and used Cycle - I don't think it helped at all and I ended up adding Bio-Spira 4 wks later.

From my experience and reading others on this site, the only true product that works is Bio-Spira. And even then it is really a 75% chance that it will work (as long as it was stored properly). Products like Cycle do not.

Todays water test , Ammonia = 1.0 , NITRITE == 0.25

All fish have lost white specks except for the Bala Sharks , they appear the same.

Todays water test , Ammonia = 0.50 , Nitrite = 2.0 + (almost 5.0) , Nitrate =5.0+ (almost 10)

Did about 75 % water change and will test later. NITRATE - YEPEE

Todays water test , Ammonia = 0.50 , Nitrite = 2.0+ , Nitrate = 10+

Did about 60% water change. Tested later, still read 2.0

Did another water change, about 80%, now reads Nitrite at 0.25

Todays water test , Ammonia is less than 0.25 , nitrIte = 2.0 , nitrAte = 20ppm

Did about 75% change. Ammonia is going away !!!

Bio-spira pooped out on me. It started my cycle quickly but didn't end it.

What worked for me was Seachem's Stability. Cycled my tank in a week with only a tiny ammonia / nitrite spike.

Gill said:
Bio-spira pooped out on me. It started my cycle quickly but didn't end it.

What worked for me was Seachem's Stability. Cycled my tank in a week with only a tiny ammonia / nitrite spike.

I find this difficult to believe. A cycle is merely the multiplication of 2 types of bacteria. The ammonia to nitrIte bacteria have about a 2X increase in population speed over the nitrIte to nitrAte, so it might have been the transition point that makes you believe the Bio-spira "pooped" out. Other factors such as the tank pH (which routinely goes down during cycling most notably in soft water) can slow down replication, as can tank temperatures, chlorine and chloramines from improper PWC's, and meds (commonly used by the beginner as the LFS sells them everything under the sun when the fish begin to stress/die).

Again, all the data I've seen has shown that ONLY Bio-spira routinely works (if and only if stored properly during shipment), and all the other products are virtually useless.

People have performed dormant studies of these bacteria and it takes a tremendous amount of ammonia (>100ppm) before they will come out of dormancy, this will never be seen in a fish tank, so products that claim to have dormant bacteria that will "awaken" when introduced to the ammonia from fish waste are not useful.

What about adding the dormant bacteria to a high concentration solution of ammonia, then adding that to dose the tank? Not supporting one theory over the other, just an idea to help those who want to try the dormant products.

Theoretically that would work, though it would be difficult to determine at what point to add to the tank (I can't remember the exact timeframe, but know that it is not an immediate "awakening"). Also I don't know the volume of the product, but you might have to add an awful lot of ammonia to get to 100ppm. And then you will be adding a lot of ammonia to a tank that is already cycling and you might just harm the fish more (the method you describe would probably only be suitable for a fishless cycle using this product). The other problem, is if this dormant bacteria is even the proper bacteria in the first place. Since there has been few if any success stories using products other than Bio-Spira (and that can be attributed ONLY to the product being added), I wonder what exactly is being added when using these products....

I think the bottom line is get seed material ASAP if you have a tank currently with fish that is cycling. Go door-to-door and find an aquarium, buy live plants from the LFS solely for the bacteria on the leaves (they will have beneficial bacteria on them, especially if these plants are in with fish as some tanks tend to have), beg (steal? :) ) filter media, do what you have to get guaranteed living bacteria.

Skeet how are things now? With those readings earlier in the week sounds like you are well on your way.

Back
Top Bottom