bio wheel looks new after 2 months with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkatts

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 2nd tank with 2 danios and a patty (starter fish) to cycle the tank.
I know should have cycled without fish now that I found this site. But like most I was told otherwise by LFS. Pet smart for the record.

Anyway, so according to the pamphlet that was included with my tank kit, the bio wheel should have some deposits in it by now and be slowed down or maybe even erratic spin like it's out of balance.
it still looks new and is spotless.
I just got to the point where the tank is cycled.
There is some greenish/brown substance on the ramp flowing back into the tank. sorta like algae.
The picture that was in the pamphlet looks like what I see on that ramp should be on the bio wheel.
should I be concerned?

In my personal experience I have had no luck with bio wheel filters. Keep an eye on the filter cartridge itself. If that is getting filthy I would replace that as that is collecting most of the waste. I would also keep cleaning the return for the filter to get rid of the brownish color.

My understanding is the bio wheel does not filter debris but is a "house" for the bacteria that create the bio filter of ammonia into nitrates.
The filter inside the pump housing filters debris but should not be replaced until it's falling apart.
Am I mistaken?

In my personal experience I have had no luck with bio wheel filters. Keep an eye on the filter cartridge itself. If that is getting filthy I would replace that as that is collecting most of the waste. I would also keep cleaning the return for the filter to get rid of the brownish color.
nope, don't throw away your filter cartridge as that is where all your bb is stored, when it gets clogged swish is carefully in a bucket of tank water, don't clean your filter until it's performance is hindered by build up. The bio wheel is IMO more fire show than go..

Hogwash. I've had biowheel filters for years. The thing is teeming with bacteria even if you don't see slow spinning or pauses. The only time my wheel slowed was when the filter was running slow from debris. I changed the cartridges regularly because on an Eclipse six, there is no room for half-clogged media. Swishing in a bucket works a couple times and then you need to change the fiber, at least. No mini cycles occurred here with cartridge changes so obviously there were plenty of bacteria on the wheel. In fact, that wheel moved into the canister on the new tank. It plus a few uncleaned decorations was all the bacteria that moved to the new tank with the fish. Still no mini cycle. So, don't worry, the wheel is populated. Algae growth on the spillway is common. I wiped mine off periodically.

Replace it? Why not just rinse in aquarium water?

You can only rinse it in aquarium water so many times before it starts to fall apart. Eventually you are going to have to replace the cartridge

You can only rinse it in aquarium water so many times before it starts to fall apart. Eventually you are going to have to replace the cartridge
this is true! Especially with the marineland cartridges, mine are usually junk after 2 months, I just stuff the box with sponges to store extra bb.

What type of sponge? Is it something that is sold ot the pet store?

I bought the fluval sponges, the big ones are most cost effective, than just cut them as needed and stuff away!

Also look into cut to fit poly fiber, I use this instead of the marineland cartridges, just rip all the stuff off the plastic piece and use it as a backer for the new stuff!

Also look into cut to fit poly fiber, I use this instead of the marineland cartridges, just rip all the stuff off the plastic piece and use it as a backer for the new stuff!

This is what works on my old six. The carbon isn't necessary and the bulk fiber is much cheaper than cartridges. I paid about $5 for a whole roll. It's a lot easier to squish/swish out than those cartridges. If you want carbon, you can easily add it, too.

Is the Poly fiber sold at pet stores? Or is that like padding for stuffed animals that I would find in a craft store?
I worried about getting the wrong thing that would end up being toxic or something. :eek:

Nope, they have it in the filter section at pet stores, it's blue, called bonded something, can't miss it!

Blue bonded is the best match for the Marineland fiber. I use some poly filler fiber in my canister, though. It's pretty easy to find the "flame retardant" (bad) kind when the holiday "snow" is out there but it will be labeled as such. Most poly stuffing is untreated.

BTW, the filter media is stupid expensive in general at my LFS. Search for bulk blue bonded filter media online and you'll see that it's available pretty cheaply (especially when added to an order already getting free shipping).

The bio wheel does store a fair amount of bb, I've had mine for over a year and there is a good amount of bb on it

I have a 5G with the Biowheel and it was used when I got it and I have ran it for almost a year straight and never even HAD to rinse it (in treated/conditioned water) just once because I was giving the tank a good clean. the filter seems to catch the gunk. The Biowheel looks basically the same as when I first got it.

Back
Top Bottom