BioBall -> LR Transition Working: New Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amahler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I'm a few weeks into my gradual BioBall to LR transition (detailed in numerous prior posts like this one).

I'm at about 90 or so pounds of rock in my 90 gallon tank (counting the pounds in the wet/dry) and will add more in time. My bioload is rather light but will be increasing a bit soon as I add some new livestock. My skimmer seems to work quite well and is by no means overtaxed or even at its working capacity.

I'm still a few weeks away from getting all of the bioballs out of my system - I'm probably halfway there or a little more by now. My nitrates have gone from over 160 (ruby red on the color chart) to 20ish or less (down into the lighter orange and hopefully soon hitting yellow on the chart). I've been doing about a 20 gallon water change each week during this process (usually on Saturday or Sunday).

My question is in regards to the trickle plate in my wet/dry. Right now I'm still trickling over the ever-reducing collection of bio-balls. Some always stay above the water line and some below and the gap between the submerged balls and the base rock/rubble in the bottom of my sump gets larger with each removal. Eventually all the bio-balls will be gone and I suspect I'll have a really noisy trickle plate just splashing down into the sump water to the submerged rock below.

Once all the balls are gone, can I remove the trickle plate and maybe just run the hose from the tank right down into the sump? I'd think I could just take the hose off the lid and lay the hose right down in the sump on top of the rocks.

Since the rock is completely submerged, is there any value to the water showering down through a trickle plate?

Would I be better off leaving the plate there but adding a layer of something just underneath it somehow? I've seen mention of micron bags. Would I place one of those in the equation somehow?

I'm working on a plan to move all of the undertank equipment into the basement soon with a much larger pump and turning an old 90 gallon tank into a huge sump. This will rid my living room of all the noise and make my sump roughly equal to my tank and therefore approximately double my water capacity. That's still a few weeks or more away, so I need to keep planning my current bioball->LR transition with the existing equipment for the meantime (and in case I delay the basement project for a longer time).

On a related note... if I change my plans a bit and decide I want to wait on adding more new rock, would it be ok to just move all the rock in the sump up into the tank? Does its location in the sump give me any advantages in its role of replacing the bio-balls? I want it to stay wherever it is most beneficial for filtration, but I don't want to waste the added beauty if I can, in fact, aquascape those additional pounds of rock into the tank itself.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Aaron, do you have lighting on your LR in the sump? You should be totally fine by taking the trickle filter out of the sump and running the hose down into it to rid of the noise. The trickle filter will have no purpose to have in there anymore since the bioballs will be gone. Micron bags i have heard of alot of people putting them on the ends of the pipes of the overflow to filter and stop bubbles from entering. LR will be far better than the bioballs you may notice a little algae bloom if your lighting is stronger in your tank when you move your LR to the tank. HTH

Gooyfoerret,

Thanks for the response. Sounds like what I was thinking and I'm glad to know it'll work out. No, there is no light on the rock in the sump and I don't keep very strong lighting on the tank just yet (mostly for heat reasons).

Oddly enough, I tend to see more life on and about the rock in the sump than on the stuff in the tank. I think I find something new and interesting moving around or sticking out of a piece of rock every time I crouch down and peer through the side with a flashlight. :)

Thanks!
- Aaron

You will notice alot of growth on the LR in the sump just for the reason of water flow. Your LR in the sump sees alot more water and nutrients passing by than that in the tank. Once you get some lights on that baby you will see alot more weird things. 8O HTH

YOu do not need the trickle tray unless you are running some type of mechanical filtration pad. I left mine in, it is a great place to run my Poly Filter pads.

Back
Top Bottom