Biocube and heat issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do sell an upgraded version called the HQI that does not have the top. Unfortunately the lip on the tank prevents you from converting a standard BC to the BCHQI. :(

Starchar said:
They do sell an upgraded version called the HQI that does not have the top. Unfortunately the lip on the tank prevents you from converting a standard BC to the BCHQI. :(

That's where they get ya. My temp today was 83! And my heater is unplugged!! My buddy who owns a LFS told me to get ice cubes and float them in a ziplock bag in the tank. His RO water he sells leaves the store at 78, then when getting home if not using right away he suggests placing a heater in the bucket and a power head until ready. Don't know why I added that but I did....

:)

The ice cube idea is kinda lame for an LFS to suggest. That would drop the temp. until the ice melts. Which wouldn't take long. And even then, u would have to monitor the temp to make sure it doesn't drop too much. There's really 2 options. LED's or check into a Chiller for ur tank.

Crabs said:
The ice cube idea is kinda lame for an LFS to suggest. That would drop the temp. until the ice melts. Which wouldn't take long. And even then, u would have to monitor the temp to make sure it doesn't drop too much. There's really 2 options. LED's or check into a Chiller for ur tank.

Yeah I gotta say the ice cubes lasted all of 10 minutes! And I wasn't gonna keep running back and forth. I just opened the entire hood and leaned it against the wall. I hate that it doesn't have hinges!! I may make hinges for it, it would be so much better. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do but the heat issue needs to be addressed. I maybe retro fit it with LED's.

My cube has run hot since I first set it up. If I leave the front and back doors closed it gets to 83 in mine. I leave the back open all the time and the front one open when I'm next to it (just in case I get a jumper ). The doors open keep me at 81 degrees. Still a bit high bit at least it's constant.

I have used the ice cube trick before when My air conditioning was down. It does work but it dosnt last too long. lol But it's something at least.....

When my cube runs hot it makes me run hot! lol!!

I'm REALLY losing my hair with this tank and I didn't even start adding anything yet! Haha! Just an emerald crab that popped outta nowhere. A tiny little guy.

Here in the North the tank temp stays a steady 77 in the winter. Course I keep my furnace thermostat set at 70. But I still need to keep the lid open and a fan pointed towards it when the daylight bulb is on in the aquarium. It's the summer that causes me concern. I keep the air set at 78 and that's when my cube goes over the 80 mark. So I have a couple months to retro fit my tank with LED's. Good luck on whatever u decide to go with. I've learned 1 thing and apparently ur learning as well. This is not a cheap hobby.

Well I went with this and this was a total impulse buy after watching the demo at The House of Fins in Greenwhich CT. This thing is just SICK!! It goes from sunrise and ramps up to noon slowly then ramps back down to sundown then hits a kind o moon light then total moon light setting. Then total darkness. Then it starts all over again. And... This part is what really got me. I know... I know.... I really don't need the light but I just had too!!

There's a thunderstorm effect! This is too much!! I set it to a 20% of thunderstorms a day and only 1 storm a day so the tech said probably 2 maybe 3 a week it's set to random so could be less. 10 timer settings and an hour later with the tech guy and it's complete. I just have to get some black silicon tomorrow to bead around the outside where the light is showing. And I was able to but back on the splash guard. This is too much.

My wife isn't happy haha!!

I have to take her show shopping tomorrow! OH BOY!!!

View attachment 74679

View attachment 74680

View attachment 74681

View attachment 74682

View attachment 74683

View attachment 74684

Last edited:
Sounds like my Ecotech Radion light that I have hanging over my 30 gal coral tank. Course fm the pics u posted, it's not the same. Interesting! Wow, that's sum retrofit u have there. Who makes this light, so I can do some research on my own? And yes, u have to keep wifey happy when u make a big purchase. Ha ha

Crabs said:
Sounds like my Ecotech Radion light that I have hanging over my 30 gal coral tank. Course fm the pics u posted, it's not the same. Interesting! Wow, that's sum retrofit u have there. Who makes this light, so I can do some research on my own? And yes, u have to keep wifey happy when u make a big purchase. Ha ha

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

I'm impressed after reading about these lights. I c they also have a nano version as well. And tell me, is there a fan on ur lights? It looks like it does but the SOL nano doesn't look as though there is a fan. Good for u. Looks like u took care of ur heat issue. And thanks for posting their web site

Crabs said:
I'm impressed after reading about these lights. I c they also have a nano version as well. And tell me, is there a fan on ur lights? It looks like it does but the SOL nano doesn't look as though there is a fan. Good for u. Looks like u took care of ur heat issue. And thanks for posting their web site

Yes there's a fan.

View attachment 74700

Center is the fan.

I'm pleased with the fit I didn't want it too deep because I wanted to be able to use the splash guard.

Last edited:
Temp is reading 76-78 since last nights water change and light upgrade :)

I'm so stoked with this LED system!

Biocube Heat, as well.

I am new to the hobby and new to this site. In fact, I joined specifically so I could glean more info on this topic of heat that I am also struggling with (among a few others). I can't get the temp regulated in my 14 gal biocube. I bought a 75w visitherm heater to help with the low end of my range (75 degrees), but when the lights come on the water starts heating up and reaches 82-83. I have the full enclosed hood with 10000k 24 watt compact and 24w actinic. I have reduced lighting to only 7 hrs/day so don't think I should decrease them anymore. I only have live rock and a few coral at this point (hammerhead and a couple of softies). I can open the feeding access lid but think I should be able to stabilize without doing this so when I am away there won't be an "unguarded" opening...?? I'll get around to more information and intro on the proper forum/thread but this thread popped up on google search and I need some experienced help ASAP!

Help with biocube heat issues

I just started an 8g biocube and was having heat pro blems. Because it is such a small tank it is a little tough to regulate heat. You must get leds. They let off little to no heat. Also watxh your heater..if it doesnt need to be on, dont have it on. I switched from coralife actinc lights to leds and it made all the difference. My tank now stays at 80f. Plus leds last.forever and never burn out. Hope I helped

Thanks! If you read the entire thread you'll see I did go LED and do not have the heater on at this time and now my temp is just fine. :)

Oh lol didnt see it. Hows everything working out for you? I just started..am waiting to add a goby or bkenny in aboit a week

BabyDee17 said:
Oh lol didnt see it. Hows everything working out for you? I just started..am waiting to add a goby or bkenny in aboit a week

Its going good but I've preoccupied with my African tank so as soon as I'm done I'll move to the cube. At least it's getting a lot of time to cycle :)

Back
Top Bottom