Biocube melted plastic...problem?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought the InTank Media basket and fuge, along with some purigen, chemipure, some filter floss and a small ball of cheato. I set everything up and let the display lights turn off and the 10w submersible light turn on (for the fuge). Before I went to bed I decided to check to see if everything was still ok, and I'm REALLY glad I did. I found that the submersible light started to melt a hole in the plastic wall in between chamber 2 and 3!!! I immediately moved the light to the other side and made sure the cheato was all around it.

My question is should I be worried about the melted plastic leaking into the water column now? I know its probably too late to do anything, but is everything going to die? Everything in the tank seems to be acting fine. I'm just not sure if it would be an instant death thing, or if it would be a slow die off. I know the chemi pure is carbon, and carbon takes out chemicals. Is it possible that the carbon caught it before anything happened?

You should be fine as long as it didn't put a hole through the chamber. You could fix it if it did with some epoxy to seal the hole. As for chemicals leaking in to the water don't worry be happy their alive and should be fine.

It definitely made a small hole...I have the green epoxy tube, but I thought that needed to harden outside of the water. Would I need to drain the chambers then apply it?

Read the packaging some works under water. Draining it may work better if you want the peace of mind knowing it will hold. You could just put some through the hole and smash it together on both sides extra protection.

if the bulb got that hot to melt the plastic under water its going to cook the fish also I would just remove it all together IMO

Is it the inTank one? Just curious because I've never heard of this issue and I know a lot of members using that bulb.

Yeah it's the one from InTank. It was resting on the wall that separates chambers 2 and 3 and burnt a decent sized hole. I have it in the middle of the fuge basket now with the cheato all around it.

FishN00b83 said:
Yeah it's the one from InTank. It was resting on the wall that separates chambers 2 and 3 and burnt a decent sized hole. I have it in the middle of the fuge basket now with the cheato all around it.

Isn't it suppose to go in with the cheato? Any particular reason you put it between the plastic?

The cheato is surrounded by plastic...the light just happened to rest on the divider between chamber 2 and 3

Back
Top Bottom