Biowheel stopped for 7 hours. Should I be concerned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricMack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I have a well established tank, and except for the darn black hair algae, all is well. :lol: Last night at 2:00 am the power goes out, and this morning I come down to feed the fish, and find the Penguin is not moving. :cry: I did not touch the wheel, but carried the whole thing to the sink and cleaned the slime off the areas around the magnets. Wa La. She fires right up again. I have to go to work, so end of story, or maybe start of story? I don't know how long the bacteria colonies would last, but I assume some would have survived in the filter pad, and if they did die on the wheel, wouldn't they re-stablish pretty quickly?

Should I be concerned/do anything?

Thanks for any of your thoughts! :p

The biowheel is just a feature to allow for some extra bacteria. It's in your filter and substrate. Lots of people don't use biowheels and do just fine. :D

just as a side note. if the electricity is off for an extended period of time, it is best to do things like pull/rinse/replace the media from your filters as there is a good possibility of severe bio die off and then pollution of your tank when the juice comes back on.

Also if you power is off next time,just drop the bio-wheel in the tank that way the bacteria can keep living at least for some time :) I do this whenver I turn the filter off for changing water etc :)

Back
Top Bottom