Biowheel wont spin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The intake and/or media in the filter is clogged up. I just accepted that mine would never spin again lol. Clean out the filter media and check the intake tubes to make sure there's no gunk.

picture_117 said:
The intake and/or media in the filter is clogged up. I just accepted that mine would never spin again lol. Clean out the filter media and check the intake tubes to make sure there's no gunk.

Haha i have so many plants, the media will always be clogged... Does it matter that it doesnt spin? The water is coming out crystal clear.

Yeah it's the same with me lol. I think it's meant to be a sort of place for bacteria to colonize, but unless you have an empty tank with just fish or want to clean out the filter everyday it's really not practical. Mine doesn't spin anymore, doesn't affect the tank in anyway.

picture_117 said:
Yeah it's the same with me lol. I think it's meant to be a sort of place for bacteria to colonize, but unless you have an empty tank with just fish or want to clean out the filter everyday it's really not practical. Mine doesn't spin anymore, doesn't affect the tank in anyway.

Awesome. I kinda liked the look of the spinning though hahah

I was told several times that the wheel doens't need to spin to still perform its job, which is a place for bacteria colonization. The water will penetrate the wheel flanges/wings/panels? so water doesn't necessarily have to be directly added like when the wheel is turning.

Rinse your filter media, I've had one for about 2 years and it still spins fine. I use these on all my tanks and they all spin fine

I had one for about 2 months until the motor went bad. I won't ever buy one again.

That said, usually raising your water level a bit, so that the water leaving the filter gets a little 'backed up' will help your wheel spin.

mfdrookie516 said:
I had one for about 2 months until the motor went bad. I won't ever buy one again.

That said, usually raising your water level a bit, so that the water leaving the filter gets a little 'backed up' will help your wheel spin.

Hm i did that today. And the filter media as inside the intake tube, or the hole it bubbles up from

Well, the penguins don't have the spray bar that the Emperor does. They won't always spin. The spray bar, well, sprays water on the bio-wheels. I have an Emperor and the wheels never stop turning. Penguins just spin with the water flowing under them. I don't think it would be very uncommon for the penguin to stop spinning.

Back
Top Bottom