black algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
:!: :!: What causes black algae and how do you get rid of it? It seems to have crept up on me all of a sudden and now its invading my plants and making them all look like they have black fur. Will it harm anything??
Please help soon :? :?: :?: :?:

This is not good. Black fur algae is really tough stuff. I don't know of anything that eats or kills it. Right now I'm fighting another king of algae, staghorn, it's giving me fits.

I'm doing more reserch on algae in general, will try to get back to you with something helpful.

algae

Hey, I'm not alone there... I've got the same problem. Unfortunately i don't know what to do except remove the infested leaves. I was told it doesn't harm anyone, though :)

Not sure what causes it but I had the same problem a while back. I did a pretty big water change and added two Flying Fox fish. There are 2 species of Flying Fox and I can't remember their names but these were the ones that grow bigger. From the time I put them in there I never saw them quit eating at the stuff. I also changed my light bulbs. Sometimes improper lighting will spur on unwanted algaes. Good Luck!

I had this problem ... I inadvertantly introduced some snails with a new plant I bought.

I now have no algae at all, just a snail infestation!

Back
Top Bottom