Black Diamond Quartz for Corydories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezcookies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. So I am new to Corydora's and I have a few myself. I have a tank atm with smooth gravel but planning to change to diamond black quartz as seen in the link below. does anyone know if it will be okay with the cory? i know they prefer sand. I just dont like the idea because i feel it would be extremely cloudy when i need to clean it with the gravel vacuum. any idea, solutions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

link to quartz
Pisces Natural Products

I am unfamiliar with this substations but here's another forum talking about it.
Quartz Gravel?
I would rec amend you using black diamond blasting sand 20/40 grit its a medium size sand and corys love it.

The easiest place to get it is at tractor supply, for around ten bucks for a 50 pound bag.

Hi dez,
I recently made a substrate change myself, and went with pool filter sand. It's uniform smooth, and surprisingly was quite heavy in the water and I have no trouble cleaning it with the vac or having it swirling all over, it's worth keeping in mind. And the cories love it!

I own some of the diamond black quartz gravel. Have not used it yet, just washed it in a bucket. Looks very nice and rich so far. And does not feel sharp.
Although as stated above, cories do like sand better.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi dez, post a picture when you change it! The PFS is pretty bright. I have no experience with play sand so I can't really say what the difference is. Here's a pic of the tank with the pool filter sand
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414881721.621562.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414881751.999484.jpg

We have black sand, it doesn't get cloudy during water changes. We lose a little bit of sand after every water change though. We have twice as much in there as we need, so, at least it's not a big deal for us at the moment.

You just need to rinse the sand a lot before putting it into your tank. When you think you're done, rinse a few more times.

Like dragon said the key is rinsing a ton with ANY of the sands. With the sand the debris kinda goes into little pockets with the water current. I have found that kinda swirling the vac a tiny bit above the sand makes the debris float up and go in but minimal amounts of sand.

We have black diamond blasting sand in our 29gl tank and I love it. It did take a decent amount of rinsing but the test settled pretty quickly. Like an hour or two it was completely clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful as black Diamond blasting sand isn't consistent. I have a few bags that is just awful. I tried some cory cats with it and their barbels were gone within a week because it was soo sharp.

Hmmm I wonder if it is the different measurements of size? I can't remember which I got- but it was the smaller size. I know on the bag there were check boxes for the different grain sizes

Hmmm I wonder if it is the different measurements of size? I can't remember which I got- but it was the smaller size. I know on the bag there were check boxes for the different grain sizes

I tried both the fine and the coarse. Same thing in both

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom