Black Discus Issue on a Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
My local LFS called me 3 weeks ago because a guy lost his job and brought in everything he had to get some cash to pay bills. Among the things he brought in was some discus. 2 were 5”-7” and one was 2.5”-3” which is why they called. The larger fish had beaten this guy up bad. His fins were split, he could barely swim, both eyes were glazed, and one eye was slightly popped out. He was also solid black and covered in ick, and appeared starved. Yes I know the previous owner was an idiot putting these sizes together.

They said if I was willing to try to save him, I could have him. So I started with treating the ick and the possible fungus alternating between the jungle fizz tabs and running two 10 gallon tanks to achieve the goal. He would stay in one for 24 hours, then move to the next, and then back to the first one, and these tanks went through a 100% water change after each treatment and had filtration changed at each 100% change. Sections of filter media from my main 150 gallon were used as well as the water from the 150 gallon to make sure parameters stayed in check. Both tanks stayed at 86 F and clean Elodea was placed in them for cover and new air stones used each time. Once he had went through 5 rounds of each medication cycle, the ick was gone and the eyes, fins, and body looked much better, except the one eye still looks out of socket, but he can move it and it does not appear infected.

He has been in unmedicated water with 50% daily WC for 11 days now, again water from my 150g where my other discus are kept, and the only lingering issues are the eye of course, and the fact that he rarely eats,still looks thin, and is still solid black. I offer him frozen bloodworms, frozen beefheart, frozen brine, flake, and pellets daily. He seems to pick something different each time. He has become very social though like my other discus are and now comes to the glass when he sees me, my kids, or the cats of course haha. This is a major improvement, because he literally didn’t move for 2 weeks, not even when netting him to transfer tanks, he just let you scoop him up and didn't try to run or flip around. I am just concerned about him still being black and the lack of eating. I am sure the eye is always going to be this way, so it doesn’t concern me as much. Oh and he has not ever, and doesn’t currently have clamped fins, his breathing used to be heavy, but now seems normal, and he is not doing headstands or tailstands. Stress coat does not seem to relax him at all, and I even tried bag buddies to relax him and that didn’t lighten him up any either, so I am at a loss, especially since he is no longer acting ill, just appears to be underfed and looks phyiscally stressed. I do not even know what strain he is because he has always been solid black. I have never heard of or seen a solid black discus, so I am assuming it is just stress. Any advice you can give would be helpful. Thanks!

I really have nothing of value to contribute except maybe an internal parasites case? I just wanted to say it was very good of you to take in this poor fish and so diligently nurse him back to health.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. When I picked him up I thought it would be a miracle if I even got him to the house before he died. However it's been 3 weeks now. Spoke to Discus Hans today and he said it sounds like pop eye but told me to ask others for advice for medicinal treatment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm really surprised from your description that he's made it 3 weeks. Did you try posting under the cichlids section? Seems a lot of people keep discus but stick to that section of the forum

I tried there once before and did not get a single response. Figured the unhealthy section was worth a shot this time.

Could the black have been from ammonia burns? That could easily take a few weeks to heal (after previous owner). Just throwing it out as a thought.

Do you think if you offered live foods his prey drive would kick in and he'd try to eat? I specifically thinking blackworms because they are fairly common and very wiggly and can survive in the tank for a few days. My fish really enjoy picking the blackworms out of the sand as they will burrow into it and just stick up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom