Black Ghost Knife Fish Profile by Aidan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadmanwalking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Origins and Fish Basics
The Black Ghost KnifeFish (Scientific Name: Apteronotus Albifrons) or as some may refer to it as, Black Ghost, is a tropical freshwater fish which can be kept in aquariums. Its scientific genus is Apteronotus and it is a member of the Oddball Fish Family (other oddball fish include Elephant-Nose Fish, Clown Knife, etc). The Black Ghost Knife Fish originates from South America, Amazon basin, Peru and Venezuela to Paraquay in the Parana River.

Temperment:
Black Ghost Knife Fish are nocturnal in nature and so you won't see much activity from them during the day. They can be shy, often staying in the one place for many hours at a time. However, they can also be agressive with other fish, particularly smaller fish than itself, and therefore when you are considering keeping this species it is essential to ensure that your other tankmates are big enough not to get eaten by the Black Ghost.

Diet and Feeding:
Black Ghost Knife Fishes are generally Carnivores and will accept live food as well as freeze dried/frozen food. They will generally not accept flake food. They should be fed one or twice a day (although feeding them twice is recommended because it will get them used to coming out more).

Care:
Black Ghost Knife Fish do not need a lot of specific special care, however they can be hard for some aquarists to look after. There are a few things to consider, however:

- Consider purchasing a "Ghost Tube" along with your Black Ghost. A ghost tube is simply a piece of plastic tubing to put in your tank and your Black Ghost Knife Fish will utilize it fully by staying in it for many hours per day. These ghost tubes are generally available across most Local Fish Stores.
- Although it may appear clumsy when swimming around your aquarium, it has a built in ‘radar’ system (due to its very weak vision) that uses low voltage electricity to help it navigate. Therefore, your Black Ghost may bump into other fish without realising that it is indeed a fish.
- Be sure not to keep a Black Ghost Knife Fish with any other electrical fish for long periods of time (an example of such fish is an Elephant-Nosed Fish) because this can cause both of their signals to interfere with each other and ultimately may weaken your Black Ghost's immune system.

Water Conditions:
The Black Ghost Knife Fish prefers a pH of 6-8 and a temperature of 73.0 to 82.0° F (22.8 to 27.8° C). Hardness of the water should ideally be from 5 - 19 dGH.

Potential Size and Water Region of the Fish:
This fish can reach a huge size; up to over 50cm in a lot of cases. Therefore, it is essential that your Black Ghost is kept in a tank size of at least 75 gallons. The water region that this fish swims in is generally at the lower levels of the aquarium; only coming up to the top for food.

Lifespan:
Black Ghost Knife Fishes can live for up to 15 years in captivity but if they are given good care then they may live longer.

Description:
It is distinguished from other knife fish by the white and black banded area on the caudal puduncle. It also differs from the Brown Ghost Knife Fish because of its shorter snout, and the Brown Ghost has only one small white band close to the end of its tail.

Sexing:
Unknown.

Acclimation:
Place the bag with the fish inside it in the water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes open the bag and let it float in the water, adding about half a cup-full of water from your aquarium into the bag every 5 minutes. After about 20-30 minutes, allow your Black Ghost Knife Fish to enter into your aquarium. Make sure that you don't put a lot of water from the bag into your aquarium while getting your Black Ghost out of the bag.

Breeding:
Black Ghost Knife Fish have been known to breed but the methods used are unknown to most.

My personal experience:
I have had a black ghost for almost 6 months now and I have to say that the Black Ghost Knife Fish is one of the best fish you can possibly buy for your aquarium! Although it is large in size and may not come out and swim all around the tank a lot, when you do see it out, its wonderful fin movement when it swims is inspiring to watch! Personally, I let my Black Ghost just come up to the top of the tank (when it always does) to get food, but soon I may try to hand-feed it - and so if you do get one you can always try that too! But honestly, if you are considering getting a Black Ghost Knife Fish and have done all of the research on it, I say go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Sources:
Black Ghost Knifefish, Apteronotus albifrons, Black Ghost Fish Guide

Photos:
Unfortunately I don't have any good photos on my computer so I can't upload them just now. However, a quick google search will do the trick!

I've been looking for a thread on BGK couldn't really fine one to ask my question so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've done some research on the BGK before buying it. But now that I have it it hangs out in my castle's dark cave that's fine with me I do have a ghost tube which I had tide 2 small anibus plants too he was in it for a bit so yay... Anyway what is the best way to feed him I don't see him coming to the top often and I work over nights so I don't know what he does at night since I didn't have him long enough. What's the best foods to give right now I have frozen blood worms but they float pass him or float back to the top when I try placing it in his ghost tune or infront of the tube... I've read some people feed them carnivore sinking pellets is that better or worse then blood worms. Anyway..

thanks for any help

Black ghost are awesome! Be prepared for him to hide almost 24/7 for at least the first few weeks! They come out at night, and actually search all over the tank for "leftovers." They LOVE blood worms, I always get the frozen cubes. Scoop a little of your aquarium water into a bowl/ cup/ container whatever, and drop a cube or 2 depending on how many other fish you have, cuz everyone will go crazy to get them! Just be patient, the more places he has to hide and feel comfortable, the better. After a few months tho, you will start to see a lot more of him, even during the day! They just need time to adjust. Hope that helps.

Thanks Luminous yeah I've been feeding my other fish blood worms for awhile I usually do it like once a week for a treat.. The ghost knife has a bunch of places the castle which he stays in all day and I feed him a little bit in the am (2-3 sinking carnivore pellets) when I feed the others, then at night ill drop a cube of worms in the tank for him right inside the castle area .. I did see him at night swimming around I can't wait until he finally comes out during the dat

i have one that's 10 inches long and i have had him for 3 years. he eats just about anything i drop in the tank. he likes omega one sinking cichlid pellets, the small ones. i always feed mine when i shut the lights off at night. but there's times when he comes out during the day and eats flake food that the angels miss even shrimp and blood worms.

Yeah bob I feed mine the carnivore hakari pellets ... I don't know if I'm over feeding him but he seems to eat it all I give him 3 of those in the am n a cube of blood worms at night
The times are 930am and 930pm so 12 hours apart

I've read somewhere on how to sex them. I read males have more of a horse like head and females are more broad and plump. Don't really know if I trust it but it's at least something

I've had my bgk 6 months, and he's grown from 2.5 inches to over 8 inches now

I have him eating small fish already. I've noticed he's gotten extremely aggressive since I've made the switch to live food though. It brings out the monster that you knew was in that creepy looking fish when you bought it! Aha I love him even more now :D

I named him kimbo btw.

He moves wayyyy faster now, especially after getting better at hunting... And his striking speed is amazingly fast, except terribly inaccurate... He doesn't hurt himself though, he doesn't bump into objects or anything

2 questions on BGK. 1. What size tank would be the bare minimum? 2. What tank mates would work with a bgk? I want to do a tropical tank and didn't know if a bgk would work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have my BGK in a 55 tall it's been about a year and he seems ok still.. I'm hoping to transfer all
My fish to a much larger tank this year.. Anyway I have him with an angle fish and a zebra danio and kuhli loaches I have other fish too. He doesn't seem to bother them I thought he would of ate some of my small guys but the only time I had a problem was with my baby balloon Molly he never grew so the BGK ate it other then that my adult balloon Molly is just fine.

On another note after a year he still doesn't like to come out during the day I wish he would he rules the tank I think he's at least 9"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got a nice bgk (I call him my ghost) about 11". Find the best way to feed him ate frozen blocks. I'd love to feed him live but don't have the resources for live brine shrimp let alone anything else at the moment. I've read the same things about sexing them, and from that I gather that mine is a male. He is very sleek and dangerous looking lol. He is in no way "plump". Mine too, sits in his tube all day until the sun goes down. Once the sun goes down, he comes out to play

I've got a nice bgk (I call him my ghost) about 11". Find the best way to feed him ate frozen blocks. I'd love to feed him live but don't have the resources for live brine shrimp let alone anything else at the moment. I've read the same things about sexing them, and from that I gather that mine is a male. He is very sleek and dangerous looking lol. He is in no way "plump". Mine too, sits in his tube all day until the sun goes down. Once the sun goes down, he comes out to play

I feed mine frozen blood worms, and hakri or whatever it is carnivore pellets . I'm glad to see my ghost isn't the only one who comes out at night fall I think mine is full grown. But he/she doesn't seem mean looking nor plump.

Ya, I'm thinking mine may be maxed out in size as well. If he does any more growing I'm sure it will be slow. He isnt mean looking either, and now I'm actually sort of wondering if I'm wrong. I spent a lot of time looking at other ghost knives on YouTube

How big is it? I've seen them almost a foot long at my LFS

Just under 11", so almost a foot. When I adopted him, he was in an inhumanely small 15 gallon tank. I think he may have stopped growing because there was no room

Yeah I read they can reach a max of 20" I hope mine hits the 20" mark, I think he/she is about 11" also.. For some reason I thought their max was about 12-18"

That would be super cool if you had a large enough tank

There maximum length IS usually 12-18"; Yet, immaculate conditions mimicking their natural habitat, ample space, and years to grow allow some fish to reach greater lengths. I assume that these fish are no different than the many other aquatic species within southern america, in which most of them continue to grow each year, no matter the increments. In their world, one does not reach a maximum length, or size.

I just placed mine in a 155 gallon with other community fish so hopefully he will start growing even more.. I had him in a 55 tall before

Indeed. When I adopted my ghost, I was expecting a 4" juvenile at the most, so he enjoys the 55 gal for now. After all this Christmas craziness, I plan to build him a tank that is 6' long, 2' deep as well as wide. Should be between 150 and 200 gallons

Back
Top Bottom