Black molly dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last night my black Molly was lying on the bottom and his gills were moving really fast and he was falling over. I spent the night somewhere and figured that when I got home he was going to be dead and sure enough he was:( I treated the tank with tetra ick guard a little more than two weeks ago because I got a Molly that had it and took her back for a different one and treated the tank. Does anyone think it could have been ick? It seems a long time for it to affect my fish. Here's a picture too he looks weird. His eyes are bulging and all his color is gone

Attachments

• image-3729657468.jpg
    image-3729657468.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 104
Mollies can be pretty fragile if there is no salt, Ph below 6.8 and KH below 4. They also need a good bit of vegetable matter in their diet. Perfect Molly tank is 1 tsp aquarium salt per 5 gal, pH above 7.0, KH above 10, and temp 78-82F. With those conditions they are very hardy and prolific. Serious Molly keepers keep molly-only tanks. OS.

I keep hearing that mollies need salt but I and many others do not use it and have healthy mollies. My mollies are in a tank with a PH of 7.6, KH off the charts and GH high too. They are breeding like crazy. My first mollies I tried to do the salt thing and they did not live past a year and a half. I still have two of my original fry, now adults, and a new orange female. No salt and they are doing great. I do feed them a varied diet with plant wafers, meaty foods, and tropical flakes and granules. I even feed them spinach and other fresh greens. I think that has made them more healthy. My local fish store likes to get my extra ones because she says they are way more healthy than what she gets from a breeder. I also try to do twice a week water changes because I found that it seems to keep my tank inhabitants healthier. I usually do a 10 gallon or so one with a larger one every week.

Back
Top Bottom