Black Molly male became really aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shnatzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, I'm new here. :flowers:

I recentley bought a new tank (60 litres)
I have some Mollies in it, 2 of them are black, female and male.

For some reason, the black male molly keeps attacking my other fish,
90% of the time the 4 Gourami fish i have.

There is a real chaos since he started, the Gourami (twice bigger the him) keeps swimming away and hide, and I don't want to allow this stress, especially because they are all new and still acclimating. :hide:

I'm posting it here cause my guess is that they are trying to enter the breeding world (he and the female black molly) and he wants to make sure no one disturbing. Any other ideas? :fish2:

Mollies may be labelled in pet stores as "peaceful community" but the males are fairly aggressive for their size. I think this is just a case of a Molly being a Molly.

You need to get 1 or 2 more females then your male won't pester the single female mollie

Oh, I missed that there were only two mollies. That will heighten aggression. But that won't solve the problem completely. Especially since I think that will make the tank way overstocked. What kinds of gouramis are in there already?

Thanks for the help guys, I went to the store and replaced those mollies with red little gouramies, after the owner of the store told me that mollies known for trying to eat the gouramies' allocated fat, which can cause even death.

I have 2 mollies left now: 1 Balloon molly and 1 Poecilia latipinna molly. They seem to be really quiet and it was really hard to catch them so for now I gave them a chance...

Thanks for the help anyway!! :fish1::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom