Black Moor dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girldiablofan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black Moor that will just sit at the bottom of the tank. He won't swim at all, he is losing scales and the side of his body looks cotton-y. His back fin/tail had some red stuff on it.

I have a 25gal tank and I have a striped catfish (a plecostomus), and one other fantail goldfish. All of the other fish are doing okay. I removed some water and added new water. I checked the Ph levels and everything was okay.

I removed the black Moor to a separate tank that is adjusted to his preferred temp and all the water levels are good but he just sits at the bottom. He won't eat unless I gently pick him up and bring him to the top, I don't know what to do or what is even wrong with him - any advice? I also have been feeding him a pea a day just to be sure it wasn't swim bladder disease affecting him as well. Please someone help me - I love my fish :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry your Black Moore is not doing well. If the fish is shedding scales, with red splotches, and a white film on the body, I believe he is suffering from some type of bacterial Infection. The scale loss is "Dropsy" a symptom of various bacterial infections. The white film on the body could be fungus, a secondary symptom or Columnaris, another very bad bug. From your description it's probably too late to save your fish. At this point try to insure the health of your surviving fish by making a 35% - 50% WC, making sure you gravel vac very thoroughly. Hope this helps

Bacterial infections are brought on by stress. Usually from shipping and then being in a crowded petstore.
Its probably too late for your molly, but in the future it helps to treat them (new fish) prophalactially with an antibiotic such as maracyn 2 or kanamycin.
Solar salt can be found at home depo or grocery stores for $5 and should be added to you molly/livebearer tank(s)

Also your tank was waaay too small for the goldfish. Maybe ammonia poisoning?

If the pleco is a common pleco then the tank is still too small even without the moor.

Back
Top Bottom