Black/Red Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhYou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, After 10 years or so I'm getting back into the hobby with a 75 gallon community tank; and now that the pieces are starting to fall in place for that I am already dreaming about getting another tank going for crayfish. I had all kinds of those things in the past, but my favorites were a pair of HUGE black ones with red accents. I am by no means an expert on these, but after doing some searches online I haven't come up with any information - not even a picture that looks similar. Does anyone have any idea what my LFS at the time may have sold me? All I really have to go on is their coloring (95% jet black with blood red accents) and the fact that they were much bigger than any other crayfish I have seen or raised. Thanks!!

Edit: Just looked on YouTube and found some that were black/red but *not* what I am talking about. Just wanted to make it clear these were completely jet black with bright blood red(makes the grass grow I've heard) on the edges of their claws and tail.

I think you after the Cherax Lorentzi. I bought a pair, June 2012, by December 2012, got the first brood. Now I have about 4 in a baby home and 6 babies living in the main tank (with good hiding place)

Awesome pets to have!!!!(y)

Attachments

• cherax_lorentzi.jpg
    cherax_lorentzi.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 87
While that is a beautiful crayfish, it's not the one I'm looking for. Maybe I need to look into how coloring works for these things because I have not stopped looking for this guy and cannot find anything close. Jet black from head to tail, bright red on the edges of their claws and tail. That simple(ha! Not!).

Back
Top Bottom