black silicone in homemade aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just given a 10g aquarium from a friend. It looks like it was homemade using black silicone. Is there anyway to tell if it's safe? My friend got it off someone else a couple Years ago but he never used it...If it dos have mildewcide in it, would it still be active?

It's probably fine, they do sell black silicone for aquariums. Most likely if it was killing fish it would've been tossed a long time ago, but there's not awhole lot you can do other than rinse it really good and watch the fish closely for a while.

I was just given a 10g aquarium from a friend. It looks like it was homemade using black silicone. Is there anyway to tell if it's safe? My friend got it off someone else a couple Years ago but he never used it...If it dos have mildewcide in it, would it still be active?
I agree, should be fine. All my store bought tanks have black silicone. It seems the norm in Europe...
Ps... Are you asking if it's safe because it's homemade or the black silicone or are you worried about disease's???

Back
Top Bottom