Black skirt tetra has lost its colouring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemosswamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20L tank with 4 neon tetras, one platy, one black skirt tetra and Harlequin Rasbora. I'm new to this and this is my third (and finally successful) attempt at having fish. I have a couple of plants in my tanks and a few rocks. my black skirt tetra used to just lose its colour during water changes and when I turned on the light in the morning, but recently it has been silver for the majority of the day and rarely has its black colouring. I'm a bit worried. what is wrong?

A couple of things.

- Is your tank cycled? Do you know your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?
- A 20 litre tank (5 gallons) isn't big enough and you are keeping fish that should be kept in groups.

Neon tetra minimum number 6 to 8 in a 40 litre (10 gallon).
Platy minumum number 4 in 40 litre (10 gallon).
Black skirt tetra minimum number 5 or 6 in a 40 litre (10 gallon).
Harlequin rasbora minimum number 8 in a 40 litre (10 gallon).

If you wanted to keep all those fish, and keep them in numbers that they will thrive in, you should be looking at a 120 litre (30 gallon) tank.

If you dont want to upgrade your tank, you should look to rehome your fish and settle on fish suitable for a 20 litre. A single betta is the most obvious that springs to mind. Or have you considered shrimp?

If you persist in stocking schooling fish that are unsuitable for such a small tank, they will inevitably be unhealthy and unhappy.

Back
Top Bottom