Black water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david70373

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone

I'm looking for some advice, I want to start a second tank. The theme I want to create is a heavily stained flooded amazon rainforest, and I want to keep pipa pipa toads, maybe some angels too. I have a 55 gal tank but no other equipment has been bought. I was wondering how can I get the dark stained look without buying any of the additives and how can I keep it that color once the water is stained.

Thanks for the tip

I know that leaves and new driftwood will stain the water, but how long will it last? Will the color clear up, even if I remove the carbon from the filter? Will the decaying leaves have any effect on Ph or alkalinity?

The driftwood tannins will fade out after a month or so. The almond leaves? ? Not sure but you can just replace them as needed. You're not going to want to run carbon if you wish to achieve a dark water set up as it will work against you.. the leaves will drop pH some, the fish that you're keeping will appreciate the lower pH though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I may be way wide of the mark but doesnt peat do what your after?

I'm still new to this, i think peat will help in a achieving certain aspects of the blackwater setup, i don't know much about it, I've heard people putting peat moss in the filter, there is also bog peat, it seems to add tannins and lower pH too. I'm not sure on application though.

I have no idea on this topic at all just remember reading about peat being used to lower pH and give tank water a brownish colour

Dave linked dome video about it, it's from the depths of the peat bogs and it's like black clay/mud and it certainly looks like it would darken the water..

You can strain your water through organic peat. If you google you should find the procedure somewhere for using a bucket filled with organic peat with a hole in the bottom and catching the water in a clean garbage can. This lowers the pH a lot.

Personally, I put 2T of Fluval peat granules in a media bag in my canister. I replenish that when the water loses its tint. It tints the water though it is not really dark. I could use more and make it darker, but I'm going for stable pH and some tannins for fish health, not to get a low pH or a true blackwater. My pH is 7.8.

If you want you could try blackwater tonic. I think that is an API product.

Back
Top Bottom