black worm thing thingy on/under my sand and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
today just discover something weird, was looking on the sand bed and found some black worm, really thin and small one. After I found that one, I start discover a lot of them around my rocks and sand bed, some even r under the sand.
I am thinking they should be fine in my tank, plus I have no ideahow to get them out away.
Just wanna know what r they and will they hurt if I change to reef tank later on.

img_1027220_0_6ee69d0767705f78cc844e7351130ca5.jpg
img_1027220_1_2dc0125eea7d6abefe8189a5cd52b479.jpg

the website has a lot of information, but can't find out which one really is.
the one I think is the closest r the hair worms, but mine r little ones in different part of the tank.
ToT

Seriously.. it looks just like a spoon worm. Look at the end of it that is stretched out.. and then look at the one in the link.. they look the same. Also, uhm.. are you sure its even living at all? Have you seen it move or something? It could just be algae stuck to the glass or something if its not moving..

its moving OoO they r all moving slowly
the spoon worm have 2 head/tail?
but yeah they look similar.
zero do you think they will ok in my tank?

Hmm.. i agree with you. I did notice the two head thing as well.. but maybe something happened to it? Im not entirely sure, but the end of it looks like the end of a spoonworm.. without the two headed part haha. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt. In this case, since you can't really find out what it is, i would say keep an eye on them. See what they do and what their reactions are to lights turning on or off, and what happens when you feed the tank.. etc.. You may not be able to tell what it is by appearence, but you may be able to tell what it is through behavioral acts. And clearly if its munching on anything it shouldn't be.. like shrimp or snails or something, then we know its bad. I would say just monitor them a bit, if they do nothing.. then they may just be another common worm in our aquariums. :)

Hmm.. i agree with you. I did notice the two head thing as well.. but maybe something happened to it? Im not entirely sure, but the end of it looks like the end of a spoonworm.. without the two headed part haha. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt. In this case, since you can't really find out what it is, i would say keep an eye on them. See what they do and what their reactions are to lights turning on or off, and what happens when you feed the tank.. etc.. You may not be able to tell what it is by appearence, but you may be able to tell what it is through behavioral acts. And clearly if its munching on anything it shouldn't be.. like shrimp or snails or something, then we know its bad. I would say just monitor them a bit, if they do nothing.. then they may just be another common worm in our aquariums. :)

alrite~ one thing I did notice is they came out when my puffers poop LOL
I will stay up a little late tonight and see if they will be more active during light out.
thanks zero

They came out.. when your puffers pooped. Hmm.. sounds like they like to eat waste and detritus.. and that's a good sign! If they stick to eating the waste and detritus.. then they would be a great part of your clean up crew.

Glad i could help.

yea my puffers poop a lot and usually one or two night. the poops disappered LOL
I saw my hermit eating poops but don't think they can eat that much haha
so I believe the worms helped a little bit XP

oh zero~
they aren't just come out when there r poop on the sand, they r actually
everywhere at any time, just happened to see them around the poop yesterday.
I m checking them now, they move very slow, didn't seem to be more active at night.

hopefully they r not bad for reef >x<

I have them in my tank and am wondering what they are. Some more info I have seen. They are everywhere all over rocks,sand, corals. I have no idea what they might be.

Thought I would update this and see if anybody has found out what they are yet. I have in my tank also

I know it's not good practice restarting an old thread but since this one was not solved I figure I would post updated pictures of this worm. It's very interesting how this worm has never been identified.

Attachments

• CAM00014.jpg
    CAM00014.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 102
  • CAM00015.jpg
    CAM00015.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 91
  • CAM00016.jpg
    CAM00016.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom