Blackbeard, driftwood, wood, java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodisgermanshepherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 very nice pieces of driftwood that I planted java on 3 years ago. On and off I've fought BBA in my tank. The I recently re-planted and
Put new substrate in my tank. And almost all the java on the wood broke out with BBA while
Other plants in my tank look fine. So my question could the wood and the age Of the plants be contaminated with some sort of algae way under the roots that keep attacking the wood and plants? Should I remove the wood and start from scratch maybe even boil the wood? What do you suggest??

Algae

I have 2 very nice pieces of driftwood that I planted java on 3 years ago. On and off I've fought BBA in my tank. The I recently re-planted and
Put new substrate in my tank. And almost all the java on the wood broke out with BBA while
Other plants in my tank look fine. So my question could the wood and the age Of the plants be contaminated with some sort of algae way under the roots that keep attacking the wood and plants? Should I remove the wood and start from scratch maybe even boil the wood? What do you suggest??

Hello Jodi...

I wouldn't change the aquascape of your tank. Most species of algae I've had in my tanks depend on phosphates and nitrates as their main food. When I start to feed too much flaked food, which is high in phosphates, I notice hair or beard algae starting to grow on my floating plants. Flaked food that's missed by the fish dissolves in the tank water and creates a perfect environment for all kinds of algae. When I get a bit lazy on my water changes, which is rare, nitrates will build up and I have more algae.

I've reduced my feedings to a variety just twice a week. I feed a little flaked, but more freeze dried and mostly frozen, less phosphate. Water changes should be half the tank's volume and done at least every 2 weeks, every week is better, but most water keepers can't commit to such an aggressive water change routine, especially if they have several larger tanks. Large, frequent water changes will maintain a stable water chemistry.

I still have a bit of algae, but some is natural and a good supplement to your fishes' diet.

B

How long do you run your lights daily? A lengthy photo period is one of the main causes of bba in a tank. Usually limiting your light down to 6 - 7 hours a day is enough to take care of it.

I run my lights 5 maybe 6 hours a day. I talked with my LFS they said the algae spores could be living under my root system on the wood and anytime I would get prefect conditions I would get a bloom. So I ended up pulling the wood and acting like its brand new I'm going to boil it and then replant it. And see how it goes. I also bought some excel to dose my tank with to help and I have root tabs coming.

I run my lights 5 maybe 6 hours a day. I talked with my LFS they said the algae spores could be living under my root system on the wood and anytime I would get prefect conditions I would get a bloom. So I ended up pulling the wood and acting like its brand new I'm going to boil it and then replant it. And see how it goes. I also bought some excel to dose my tank with to help and I have root tabs coming.

That's some silly advice that they gave you...

What lights are you running? Also, are you adding any fertilizers?

Back
Top Bottom