Blackened and transparent leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huzamlk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I recently setup up a 200 litre aquarium 2 weeks ago. Dimensions as follows 100x50x60. Using an Easy LED 100cm light with co2 on solenoid and timer. Drop checker is all green but today I noticed some issues with a few plants where the leaves are blackened and almost transparent...the new shoots are clearly visible and this is on the leaves below. I also found 2 small snails on the glass last night. I also do a weekly 50% water change and dose with Flourish Excel and Flourish Advance. Desperately trying to find the solution to this, any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170719_162958.jpg
    20170719_162958.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170719_190426.jpg
    20170719_190426.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 77
Could be the plants adjusting to the new environment. Most plants tend to get shocked when introduced to a new environment and melt a little.

Another factor could be that your lighting is fairly high and your co2 level is good causing the plants to uptake more nutrients than flourish can supply. If your using pressurised co2 and a good amount of lighting I would suggest looking into PPS pro or EI dosing.

The dry salts you buy to make the fertiliser mix's last years and will save you a heap of money in the long run. The cost of 2 bottles of flourish advance would buy you over a years supply of dry ferts [emoji106]

Generally flourish is only good for low tech setup's (low lighting and no co2 injection)

I have had this problem starting out and I have noticed that by adding macro fertilizers, mainly potassium, it helps to correct the transparency problem. As for the leaves in the tank now that are transparent, pluck them from your tank so they don't decay and mess with your water quality.

Back
Top Bottom