blackish lump on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
help- blackish lump on fish

Hi. I posted this accidentally under the DIY section. Anyway as you may be able to tell from the attched picture, my fish has a blackish lump on his side. The scales over it are stretched and white. His appetite and activity has been fine. This developed a few months ago and is getting bigger and I'm really worried about him. Does anyone have an idea what this is? and most importantly is there anything that I can do? Thanks! Donna

Attachments

• fsh.jpg
    fsh.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 57
parasite maybe? im not an expert but bloating sometimes means parasites. but lets let the experts nail this one.

Have you seen him poop lately? What size tank and how often and how much are you doing for water changes? If possible exact numbers of water parameters would be helpful. It may be a tumor in which case you would just have to wait it out. You can try feeding some frozen peas to ease if there is any constipation issues. Nuke the peas for a few seconds, peel and feed.

What do you feed? Do you try feeding veggies at all? My goldfish love orange slices.

also - i do abput a 50% water change every month. I dont think it has to do with that at all but i really have no idea. This probable probably starter over 5 months ago.

for starters what type of fish is this? it looks to me to just be a goldfish. there are a few possiblities: it could be a tumor or a parasite or it may just be pregnant but i doubt that be the true reason because of the shape of the lump.

is it a gold fish or a red parrot cichlid. it looks like both almost lol.

One water change a month with goldfish is definately not enough. It may not have anything to do with the lump and it might. I don't know. Either way it's recommended to do water changes weekly, every two weeks at the least. I would suspect it is a tumor and that there is not much you can do about it. As long as the fish is still eating and acting fine, I wouldn't worry.

i agree with zagz, it seems to just be a tumor which again there's not much to do. and as long as he's acting himself and eating, youre good.

Back
Top Bottom