Bleaching anemone corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali-fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to know how to tell if my long tentacle anemone is bleaching or not as the color is almost white. Here is a picture of my both anemones and please comment and tell me what do you think.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413040793.319692.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413040828.032951.jpg

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Most def bleaching. What kind of lighting is over the tank? You need intense lighting and lots of space for these guys, they get big.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most def bleaching. What kind of lighting is over the tank? You need intense lighting and lots of space for these guys, they get big.

I thought I was doing good maintaing this color as it was the same from the day I bought it from the shop 40 days ago the white one and two days ago for the purple one?. Btw, the white one moved itself and settled the place you saw and because of this i put the new one close to it.

I am using Sfiligoi Zenith 1 250w DE MH + 4 24w T5.

So what do you advise?

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

stress would also cause them to loose color
as i found out with my pink one
are they getting enough light it looks like they are in a shaded area

stress would also cause them to loose color
as i found out with my pink one
are they getting enough light it looks like they are in a shaded area

He was in a good lighted spot before but moved to this half shaded place!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413047866.632618.jpg

I don't mind wherever this guy go so he detaches himself and moves freely. Btw I don't have any crab in my tank so he moves by his own.

========

Well I doubt lack of light is an issue. Was he acclimated to it at all?

I guess yes!! And he is been in the tank for more than a month. Shouldn't this be long enough to be acclimated even if I did something wrong when I introduced him to the tank?

========

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413049493.985151.jpg
Here is mine in my tank. Has color and doesn't move. A happy anemone should never move. I suspect unhappiness from parameters and not being acclimated to the light. When not acclimated, they will try to hide from it since it is too bright for them and will gently lean out into it. Yours isn't getting enough light even from a mh and several t5ho bulbs because of this.

Also, anemone aren't coral. They are inverts. They don't require a crab to move, their bottom is a foot and they go and do as they please. An animal without a brain.

Also, anemone aren't coral. They are inverts. They don't require a crab to move, their bottom is a foot and they go and do as they please. An animal without a brain.

I heard that if a crab is digging underneath the anemone, it will cause him to move. So mine is moving because of something else, probably as you said, maybe not acclimated perfectly. So what shall I do now? Leave it like this until he get used to the light? Move him up? Reduce the lighting period?

Yours looks so happy. ❤️

========

You need to figure out how to get light to it so it doesn't starve to death. That shady spot is a trap for both anemone. I'd try to put a power head at them to try to coax them to move out of there.

You need to figure out how to get light to it so it doesn't starve to death. That shady spot is a trap for both anemone. I'd try to put a power head at them to try to coax them to move out of there.

Thanks for the tip man, already did what you suggested. I hope they take a good spot where the settle comfortably.

I would love to see yours in a white light picture so I can compare it with mine if you don't mind.

========

Currently at work. A link to my tanks build thread is in my signature and I think there is one there after it acclimated. It is turning into a really cool one, striped and some tentacles have green tips. So well see what he turns into when he's back to being healthy.

The one I have moved once....it will find its place sooner or later. I changed from T5 lights to LED lighting in my 90G. I also had to change the water flow for them to stay in one place.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

An update of my progress with this one. I used a power head for couple of hours but the anemone did not move. It seems he is happy where he is. I noticed that the color started to change slowly until it become so obvious.

See the picture and tell me if this is the right color or he is getting sick.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414013932.559772.jpg

========

Here is a picture for the anemone taken today.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416937489.776413.jpg

But now this guy started to room around the tank looking for a good place to Settle.

========

Back
Top Bottom