Bleeding Heart Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daryth Darkmoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month back, I purchased a bleeding heart tetra from a local Pet Supplies Plus.

Two days later I saw a baby fish swimming around the tank. Unfortunately it got sucked up into the filter before I could do anything. I had a 5.5 gallon tank that was still running, but lacking in fish since I hadn't unplugged it yet from moving what I had in it.

So I unplugged the filter in the one tank, removed the filter from the 5.5 and dropped in some air stones. Luckily I had an old pump lying around so I pretty much had everything I needed.

Over the course of the following 2 days I removed 11 baby fish from the tank, and transferred them into the now filterless 5.5.

As things stand now, all 11 are still alive and eating flake food, and the ghost shrimp I added are doing a decent job of helping keep things clean.

I just found it interesting, since all the information I could find online indicated that bleeding heart tetras have not been bred sucessfully in captivity. I'm pretty sure I just got lucky with the one I bought, and it was carrying the eggs when it was captured for sale.

I just thought it was an interesting story all things considered, and wondered if anyone else has had an experience like this with the breed.

That and I'm still suprised that all 11 have survived, despite the fact that I had no idea what the heck I was doing when I moved them.

Tetras are egg layer, Did you buy a(one) tetra or a few. I was not aware that any of the tetras were live bearers like molies or have the ability to store males sperm.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/tet-blht.htm

I don't dough you I'm just trying to figure out how.

Regardless on how, Congrads. Always fun to see fry in the tank. I'm working on getting some tiger barb little ones to hatch right now.

All tetras are egg layers. It is possible that the eggs came in with plants or something. I still somehow doubt they are bleeding heart tetra fry. Any other fish in the tank? Swordtails or platies?

Upon closer inspection, they appear that they could have belonged to the platty I bought at the same time, though she didn't appear to be preggers.

I'm not really sure why I thought they were tetras, might have been that it looked like the tetra was caring for them before I moved them, while the platty was ignoring them.

I'm totally new at this, so that probably explains why I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about.

might have been that it looked like the tetra was caring for them

They were trying to figure out which one to eat first!!! If they are anything like my tetras, they live to eat.

Congrats on your fry!

Back
Top Bottom