Bloodworms vs freeze-dried bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long do bloodworms stay alive? And how long are freeze-dried bloodworms good for? And where do you guys buy them other than your LFS?

No idea how long they stay alive... I've never seen live blood worms sold, but I'm sure they are probably out there somewhere. Freeze-dried are a good food to add into a well varied diet. Frozen are the best and a "treat" for the fish.

Check out your local aquarium club for group buys. Other than that, your LFS is probably the best source. JMO.

"Bloodworms" are midge fly larvae. I have no idea how long it takes them to mature though. Probably a few days, if I had to guess.

We just keep the bloodworms in our freezer and give them to the fish maybe once a week, they totally love them! We don't feed them for 3-4 days after that.

dr foster and smith have great prices but unless you are ordering a bunch its best to get it at the lfs. not sure the exact life span. i believe most is 6 months.

Live blood worms are a great food, but keep in mind that they are 90% water, so their nutrition content by volume is only about 10% of an equal volume of dry food. this is true for pretty much all commonly used live foods. Frozen bllod worms tend to have a fair amount of crap frozen with them so I rinse them first. They don't look as appealing as the live ones. Apparently, Britain has people who collect and sell live ones.

I have live bloodworms that I harvest from my pond filter. My fish enjoy them. Ask around for people with ponds. Their filters will be chock full of em.

My parents' new house will have a little pond/stream in the backyard, hopefully I'll be able to get my own bloodworm soon!

Back
Top Bottom