Blue clove polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was considering buying a frag of BCP. But now I'm not anymore after reading people's horror stories. It seems like it would have been so cool to have it fill in the open places of your rock work.

Does anyone know of a coral that will do something similar? Without choking/killing off other corals?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Blue symphodium. One of my favorite corals when I discovered the stuff. Beautiful polyps and it is much more slow growing than any polyp I've seen. Grows in short stalks and they form little 'puffs'.
They are hardy, but a drastic swing can be deadly. I almost wiped mine out when I plunged my nitrates and was raising all a tad. Half of it died in what looked like a fungus, but by blowing the dying off it was able to recover.

Wow! Really nice! Was the variety you had all blue? Searching I only found 1 picture of an all blue variety from an old eBay picture. Every other result only pulls up blue-green. It looks like a really nice coral especially to add color into blank areas.

That's the stuff. It is the only color I'm aware of. It is easy to drag too. I had it grow on a snail she'll and when the shell lost balance to fall. It over the course of a month dripped down like molasses until it snapped off and grew in the sand on the shell.

That's probably the only type as I can't find the straight blue anywhere. It looks great I think I may get some!

Is there a difference between blue snowflake polyp and blue clove? Is the snowflake as invasive as the BCP?

I'm not aware of them being the same species, but I'm far from an expert. Is have to look it up.
That said, in general most polyps and soft corals can become invasive.

I think I'm going to get a frag of the coral you mentioned. The BCP and blue snowflake both worry me because of how quickly they populate. I love the idea of the blue covering open rock but I don't like the idea of it growing over other corals.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454127593.695818.jpg
This is the best picture of the BCP that I can find. I don't know who's tank this is but you can see the BCP growing over zoas. The blue is amazing but that kind of spread would kill me!

Back
Top Bottom